From subtle highlights to a completely new shade, updating your hair color is a great way to freshen up your overall appearance. Before making any drastic changes to your current color, there are a few things you should keep in mind and do before you get to the salon. Celebrity colorist Sharon Dorram (she's colored the locks of Kate Hudson and Nicole Kidman!) of Sharon Dorram Color at Sally Hershberger shares a few of her top tips for attaining the hair color you want.
1. Before stepping foot in a salon, "Collect pictures of past hair color or future pictures of the desired color you want. Visuals work the best to ensure you are on the same page." Look online or cut pictures out of your favorite magazines (such as Marie Claire!) to bring along with you.
2. When you arrive at the salon, speak up! "Talk about your lifestyle; budget if applicable; concerns of hair texture, e.g., previous treatments, damage etc." Platinum blonde may look great on celebrities, but the frequent touch-ups needed to maintain the color may not be realistic for your hair or your bank account.
3. Ask to see pictures of clients the stylist has worked with in the past. "Make sure that when you are working with a colorist you have seen their previous work." If their style isn't in line with yours, you may want to find another colorist.
4. If you aren't in love with your hair color afterward, "Never go 'back in the fire.' If someone does not understand your desired hair color after showing them pictures and explaining your concerns, chances are they will not get it right a second time." Find another colorist who's more on the same page as you to fix your current color and achieve the look you originally wanted.
5. Take care of your current color! "Once you have achieved your desired color, maintaining it is equally important. Use shampoos that are life-extending for the color, such as Nexxus Dualiste Shampoo and Conditioner."