1. You're curling your lashes after you apply mascara. It stiffens the lashes, which makes it easier for clumps to break off should you make a wrong move. Don't believe us? Look no further than Miley Cyrus' lash horror story. Rumor has it that the mishap was caused by applying mascara, then clamping down with a metal curler. P.S. Doing this can also cause weird bends in the lash pattern over time.
2. You're attaching fake lashes wrong. If you're a consistent falsies wearer, you might have noticed lashes thinning or even falling out. This could be a symptom of overusing faux fringe, applying heavy double layers, or taking them out in improperly. Never yank them off! Instead take a Q-tip and rub oil along the lash line to loosen up the glue.
[image id='2a102dce-e474-488f-81a4-eff6914acfc5' mediaId='634f06f0-a140-4e0d-bee0-e9d6898727ee' caption='' loc='R' share='true' expand='true' size='L'][/image]
3. You're not using the right makeup remover. An oil-based remover will be most gentle on your lashes, especially if you're wearing a waterproof mascara. Om Aroma & Co. Organic Precleanse Oil ($32) not only removes stubborn pigments safely, but doubles as a conditioner (because your lashes need love too) as it's formulated with lavender which nourishes the hair and stimulates growth.
4. You're wearing waterproof mascara everyday. No matter what kind of makeup remover you use, there's going to be extra tugging and hairs are more likely to fall out. Even worse? The increased rubbing action can cause skin to sag around the delicate eye area. Waterproof formulas should be reserved for special occasions, like weddings and Ryan Gosling movie marathons.
5. You're not practicing proper hygiene. Much like the pores on your face, hair follicles can get clogged as they contain oil glands. This causes inflammation that could result in hair loss and/or lashes to grow in different directions. Be sure to cleanse your lashes daily, as you would your face, and try not to touch them with your dirty fingers.
Follow Marie Claire on Facebook for the latest celeb news, beauty tips, fascinating reads, livestream video, and more.