Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Kelly Bowman, 39, High Point, NC. Laboratory technician
- The hours: "I work from 6:45 p.m. to 6:45 a.m. testing super-absorber polymer, which is the material used to line diapers."
- Why I took the job: "I'm nocturnal — been that way since I was little. I really like the lifestyle. Shopping during the day is much easier and faster."
- The trade-off: "I've fallen asleep at the wheel very briefly a couple of times while driving home. Luckily, nothing bad happened. Once I fell asleep on the toilet and almost fell in."
- How I stay motivated: "I play my iPod and dance around the lab when no one's looking. When I'm off, I love wearing my Christian Louboutin heels and Badgley Mischka dresses."
- Secrets of an overnighter: "Diet Cherry Dr Pepper. I probably go through at least four cans a night."
Kristin Nelson, 27, Springfield, MO. On-air reporter for KY3 News
- The hours: "I'm up at 3 a.m. and ready to go on camera by 4:30 a.m. I'm done by noon."
- Why I took the job: "I get to cover all the breaking news that happens overnight. It's just me out there — it's a lot of responsibility and great exposure."
- The trade-off: "It's really tough to maintain a social life. If I wasn't working these hours, I'd meet more guys."
- How I stay motivated: "I go shopping, which keeps me in a good mood. I like buying shirts I can wear on-air."
- Secrets of an overnighter: "I use Preparation H for my under-eye bags. I read it in a magazine, and it works!"
Dawn Leonard, 39, Austin, TX. Senior police officer, mounted unit
- The hours: "I patrol Austin's bar district on horseback from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m."
- Why I took the job: "You run into a lot of entertaining people that time of the night — I'm rarely ever bored."
- The trade-off: "I cover events on Halloween and New Year's Eve, which can get out of control and dangerous."
- How I stay motivated: "We're responsible for tending to our horses. I feel like he's my own."
- Secrets of an overnighter: "It's easy to pig out that late at night, so I always pack healthy snacks from home."
More from Marie Claire: