Your Guide to Hosting Dinner with the Boss
By Amanda Ernst
Photo Credit: Brian Leatart/FoodPix
Chicken Curry Recipe
Serve curry over rice with an array of condiments. Chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, shredded coconut, golden raisins, cucumber sticks, mango chutney, toasted slivered almonds, and sliced bananas are popular items but by no means the only possibilities.
This recipe, from Delish.com, was triple-tested at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute. It serves six and takes 90 minutes.
- 1 (3 1/2 pounds) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 8 sprigs parsley
- 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced and peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground red pepper like cayenne
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven, combine chicken, one fourth onions, carrots, celery, and parsley sprigs. Add just enough water to cover. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; partially cover and simmer, turning once, until chicken loses its pink color throughout, 25 to 30 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to bowl. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin and bones; with hands, shred chicken.
2. Meanwhile, strain broth through sieve, discarding vegetables. Return broth to Dutch oven; heat to boiling and boil until reduced to 2 cups. Skim and discard fat from broth; reserve broth.
3. From lime, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel and squeeze 5 teaspoons juice; set aside.
4. In 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining three-fourths onions, apples, garlic, and curry powder and cook, stirring, until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stirring to blend. Gradually add 2 cups reserved broth, stirring constantly until broth has thickened and boils. Stir in lime peel and juice, half-and-half, raisins, chutney, ginger, salt, and ground red pepper. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add chicken and heat through. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
For more great chicken curry recipes, visit Delish.com.