• Give a Gift
  • Customer Service
  • Promotions
  • Videos
  • Blogs
  • Win
  • Games

Cory Monteith's Death Caused by Heroin and Champagne, Coroner Says

The 31-year-old actor's death was deemed accidental.


The final coroner's report confirmed that actor Cory Monteith died from a cocktail of intravenous heroin and alcohol. 

The report, which was obtained by TMZ on Wednesday, determined Monteith's death as accidental. The Glee star was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room in July. A used hypodermic needle and two empty bottles of champagne were found in the room. 

The report states Monteith's official cause of death as "mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin used combined with the ingestion of alcohol."

The 31-year-old actor had previously discussed his struggles with addiction. In a Spring 2011 interview with Parade, Monteith revealed how he first went to rehab at the age of 19, after his mother and friends staged an intervention. He spoke candidly about his road to getting clean, and how he hoped his story would inspire others to do the same. "But for those people who might give up: Get real about what you want and go after it. If I can, anyone can," he said.


post a comment

Connect with Marie Claire:
daily giveaway
Go to the Beach

Go to the Beach

enter now
You Know You Want More
Special Offer
Link Your Marie Claire Account to Facebook

Marie Claire already has an account with this email address. Link your account to use Facebook to sign in to Marie Claire. To insure we protect your account, please fill in your password below.

Forgot Password?

Thanks for Joining

Your information has been saved and an account has been created for you giving you full access to everything marieclaire.com and Hearst Digital Media Network have to offer. To change your username and/or password or complete your profile, click here.

Your accounts are now linked

You now have full access to everything Marie Claire and Hearst Digital Media Network have to offer. To change your settings or profile, click here.