1. If I weren't an actress, I'd be: Creating forest schools for children. The outdoors is such a crucial and special part of childhood, and I fear it is becoming harder and harder for children to access it.
2. Favorite perk of the job: Comfortable air travel.
3. Worst pitfall of the job: Family logistics.
4. Change I'd like to see in my industry: It would be incredible if acting lessons and performing-arts schools and colleges could be more readily available to people who are financially struggling. Acting is and should be for all.
5. How I made my first dollar: Selling sandwiches at a music festival.
6. Who I admire most and why: Single mothers everywhere. It's obvious why.
7. Book that left a lasting impression on me: Lee Miller's War, edited by Antony Penrose.
8. Song that always makes me cry: "Somewhere" from West Side Story.
9. Movie with the greatest ending: It's a Wonderful Life.
10. Song I want played at my funeral: "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. And don't anyone forget that!
11. First album I bought: Aerosmith's Greatest Hits. (I'm quite impressed with that!)
12. If I could live in a foreign country, it would be: New Zealand.
13. What every woman should try once in her lifetime: Champagne.
"It would be incredible if acting lessons and performing-arts schools and colleges could be more readily available to people who are financially struggling. Acting is and should be for all."
14. My perfect day would begin: All my children climbing into bed with me, followed by a long, lazy breakfast with great coffee. Followed by a long country walk. Followed by some ocean swimming.
15. My perfect day would end: With a lovely hot bath and a movie. And dinner that someone else has cooked for me! Because I am always cooking, it would be a nice change.
16. One thing I'm exceptionally good at: Forward-thinking and remembering dates.
17. One thing I'm epically bad at: Being on time.
18. If I could compete in an Olympics sport, I'd like it to be: Diving.
19. The beauty essential you'd have to pry out of my cold, dead hands: By Terry's Baume de Rose. I'm obsessed.
20. The three qualities that I thought I wanted in a partner: Sense of humor, spontaneity, kindness.
21. The three qualities I know now matter: All of the above.
22. Craziest thing I did for love: I jumped out of a helicopter into the sea, where my husband [Ned Rocknroll] was waiting. We'd been apart for two weeks, and I couldn't wait to get to him.
23. The three qualities that got me where I am today: The truth is, I have no idea. I hope one of them is determination though.
24. Moment I felt I'd made it: I'm sure that I'm never going to feel that way. I don't ever want to stop striving to do better, so how an I feel like I've made it?
"I don't ever want to stop striving to do better, so how an I feel like I've made it?"
25. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: To be honest, I'm not very good at clearing my mind. I just go to bed instead.
26. My first kiss: A boy named Robin Savage. I think I was 14.
27. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: You are beautiful; it's their loss. And Mr. Right is just around the corner.
28. Moment I knew I was in love: When I first saw [now-husband] Ned [Rocknroll].
29. Last thing I binge-watched: House.
A version of this article appears in the January issue of Marie Claire, on newsstands now.