No one slinks into a room quite like Rihanna, but you can channel her swagger with ease thanks to a tried-and-true staple: the bias slip dress. There was a time when the spaghetti-strap delicate was reserved strictly for 'neath women's dress or the boudoir, but since the underwear-as-outwear trend took flight in the '90s, it's treaded classic territory.
Last night, the Barbados beauty put a street style spin on the look by pairing her plunging slip gown with a tangle of gold necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, as well as kicky metallic sneakers. The contrast between her elegant evening number and flashy, day-to-day accessories proves that when it comes to styling, she's ever the provocateur.
The beauty of the loose, yet clingy-in-all-the-right-places slip is that a woman, yes, any woman, can dress it up or down as she pleases. Shop 5 of this season's easiest, slip-on styles la RiRi:
1. Gold Hawk Sheer Edge Slip Dress, $155; goldhawk.com.
2. Nili Lotan Black Cami Dress, $495; nililotan.com.
3. T by Alexander Wang Printed Stretch-Silk Georgette Slip Dress, $550; net-a-porter.com.
4. Tamara Mellon Silk Dress, $889; mytheresa.com.
5. 3.1 Phillip Lim Stretch-Satin Slip Dress, $650; net-a-porter.com.