1. Start fresh. Make sure youve used a gentle exfoliate chemical or mechanical to remove all dead skin cells.
2. Moisturize. Well-moisturized skin is even more important with self-tanning since DHA, the principal component of self-tanners, has a tendency to dry skin out by draining water from skin cells.
3. Apply small amounts. Apply small amounts of self-tanner to your forehead, cheeks, and chin all of the places the sun would hit first without forgetting your ears and neck. Blend toward your shoulders.
4. Spread. Spread uniformly, but quickly, across your face by massaging with the flats of your fingers. Immediately wash your hands and nails vigorously with soap and water.
5. Wipe. To avoid and orangy look, immediately after application, wipe a cotton swab or a damp paper towel across your eyebrows and along your hairline.
Check out Marie Claires how-to video for visual instructions!
Self Tanner How to Apply Self Tanner