Jewelry News: Lion Queen
After Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel lost her first true love, Arthur Edward 'Boy' Capel, in a car accident in 1919, she followed her friend, pianist Misia Sert, and Sert's husband, José Maria, to Venice, Italy. There, she discovered the treasures of St. Mark, an evangelist represented by the winged lion, a symbol of majesty and power. A Leo (born August 19) and follower of astrology, Chanel was fascinated by the creature (she had statues of the big cats all over her 31 rue Cambon apartment), and it became one of the house's signature motifs starting in 1950. This season, the king of the jungle inspires Sous le Signe du Lion, a 58-piece collection of fine jewelry, sure to have fashionistas of all zodiac signs stalking such worthy prey.
By Jessica Minkoff
1. WATCH: price upon request, Chanel Fine Jewelry; (800) 550-0005.
2. The Doge of Venice and the Lion of St. Mark on St. Mark's Basilica in Venice.
3. BROOCH: price upon request, Chanel Fine Jewelry; (800) 550-0005.
4. EARRINGS: price upon request, Chanel Fine Jewelry; (800) 550-0005.
5. The Lion of St. Mark on the bow of the Royal Barge in the Museo Storico Navale in Venice, Italy.