Contrary to popular belief, bodysuits are actually less maintenance than regular tops—especially when you're wearing them with a pair of high-waisted trousers or a pencil skirt. Not to mention, these one-pieces quite literally fit like a glove.
1. Ballet Beautiful Mesh-Paneled Stretch Leotard, $85; net-a-porter.com.
2. Maison Martin Margiela Strapless Stretch-Jersey Bodysuit, $265; net-a-porter.com.
3. H&M Boat-Neck Bodysuit $34.95; hm.com.
You've got to love a transitional layering piece, and a cropped wrap top is just that. Whether you're heading to ballet barre class or simple meeting a friend for brunch, these throw-overs will be a lovely option.
1. Ballet Beautiful Belle Wrap-Front Knitted Jersey top, $155; net-a-porter.com.
2. Topshop Space Dye Ballet Wrap Top, $38; topshop.com.
3. Lisa Marie Fernandez Dree micro-fiber wrap top, $300; net-a-porter.com.
Ballet slippers are the ultimate godsend for flat enthusiasts (and heel lovers who want to rest their poor soles). Slip on a pair and suddenly your channeling the blithe elegance of Audrey Hepburn—even if you're running around all day.
1. Repetto Ballet Flats Cendrillion Classic Patent, $295; net-a-porter.com.
2. Ballet Beautiful Satin Ballet Slippers, $120; net-a-porter.com.
3. Sam Edelman Women's Felicia Ballet Flat, $100; amazon.com.
A ballerina staple, these sweaters not only give your shoulders a chance to breathe, but are decidedly chic and sexy worn on their own or layered over a tank top. Invest in styles that are both loose and contoured to your body.
1. H&M Off-the-Shoulder Top, $34.95; hm.com.
2. River Island Pink Burnout Long Sleeve Bardot Top, $48; riverisland.com.
3. Zara Off-Shoulder Top, $39.90; zara.com.
Don't be scared by the unsavory '80s associations—these knit dance must-haves can be worn layered over your bottoms or alone as compromise between wearing tights and going bare-legged in between seasons. We love them in ballet pink and neutrals.
1. Wolford Fine Merino Rib Legwarmers, $82; zappos.com.
2. Hue Ribbed Leg Warmer, $14; lorisshoes.com.
3. Ballet Beautiful Lily knitted jersey legwarmers, $90; net-a-porter.com.
When it comes to leggings, it's all about the styling and long tops are paramount. One tried-and-true rule to follow is that you should never wear them with a top that doesn't cover your behind—you can save that look for ballet rehearsal.
1. The Row Stratton Cotton-Blend Leggings, $475; net-a-porter.com.
2. Splendid Stretch-Jersey Leggings, $60; net-a-porter.com.
3. Topshop Dark Blue Denim Leggins, $38; topshop.com.