30 Beauty Moves to Make Before You're 30
By Didi Gluck
11. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Unless you have an excessively oily complexion, you must moisturize. Think of leather: Untreated, it gets lines and creases. And you don't want to look like a worn bag.
12. To look younger, get bangs. Every hairstylist will tell you this. I think it's because we associate bangs with kids (there is not a long wisp to be seen in the park where my 3-year-old daughter plays).
13. Splurge on your haircut. Seek out the best stylist for your type of hair; it may cost more, but if the technical part of your style's no good, no amount of product will fix it.
14. Don't ever line your lips or eyes too severely. Repeat after me: "Blend." (Unless, of course, you're trying to make either look smaller.)
15. Use a curling iron (even in you have naturally curly hair) to get perfect spirals. To do: Wrap (don't clamp) wide sections of hair around the barrel.
16. Pamper your feet. If you're going to indulge in any spa treatment, go for a pedicure. It costs more than a manicure (though much less than a body treatment), but it lasts for weeks and includes a leg massage. Moreover, getting your toenails professionally trimmed can actually prevent ingrowns.
17. Adore Aquaphor! Every dermatologist I've ever met does. Why? This occlusive salve by Eucerin is the antidote to cracked hands and feet. Apply a thick coat at night, cover with socks or gloves, and wake up to perfect skin.
18. Keep it fun. Beauty should never be taken too seriously. Just for kicks, I love using Secret Vanilla Sparkle deodorant (so teenybopper) and Crest Whitening Expressions Lemon Ice toothpaste (lemon meringue in a tube).
19. Make the most of your looks in moderation. With plastic surgery at an all-time high and face transplants making news, you actually can change anything. But going under the knife can be painful, costly, and noticeable in a bad way. A better bet: Dabble in less-invasive procedures, like Botox and Restylane. They may be all you need to look refreshed.
20. Wear high heels when you want to look like you've lost five pounds in five seconds.