30 Beauty Moves to Make Before You're 30
By Didi Gluck
21. Never apply lipstick out of the tube. To dispense just the right amount, and keep it on longer, pat it into your lips with a finger instead.
22. Cure cellulite with self-tanner! Well, nothing really rids you of cellulite, but self-tanner hides it very well.
23. Go light on foundation. Makeup artist Jemma Kidd taught me to use it only under my eyes and around my nose. Ever since I stopped covering my whole face with it, I've heard that I look everything from "well rested" to "younger."
24. You can never go wrong wearing your hair down. You can, however, look back on photos in which you're sporting a weird updo and wonder, What was I thinking?
25. Stick within a shade or two of the hair hue you were born with when natural (but better) is the effect you're after.
26. Apply facial products with a light touch. An aesthetician once told me that a lot of the skin damage we incur is a result of the way we handle our skin. Which means Mom was right: It's time to stop rubbing your eyes and start treating that face of yours like the precious object it is.
27. Quit cutting your cuticles. I'm still working on this one, but a manicurist I know quit, and she actually has a lot less cuticle now than she did when she was a cutter.
28. Pull, rather than squeeze, your zits. Place fingers on either side of the offending mark and gently pull them away from each other so the clog works its way out. If you push inward, you risk scarring.
29. Get dressed without deodorant stains. Here's the trick: Pull your head through first, then your arms.
30. Pat on, but don't rub in, concealer. Eugenia Weston, creator of Senna cosmetics, showed me how: Apply your concealer from just above the inner corner of your eye down to (and over) your under-eye circles. Then, gently tap the makeup until it melts into your skin for truly effective coverage.