Expensive Beauty Looks for Less
By Genevieve Monsma
Photo Credit: Greg Delves/Greg Delves
Hallmark #1: Professionally Shaped Eyebrows
"Well-groomed brows give your face polish," says Ahnert.
- Visit a pro shaper four times a year. Maintain in between by removing strays yourself, says Ahnert.
Hallmark #2: Flawlessly Applied Foundation"A rich girl's face never appears greasy or masklike," says Ahnert.
- Choose a cheap, sheer formula. Because you can't try on drugstore brands, opt for one of the excellent transparent, light-reflecting formulas. They are goof-proof, leave a natural finish and are just as good as anything you'll find at a department store, says Ahnert.
- MC recommends: Neutrogena Skin-Clearing Clean Tint, Revlon Skinlights Diffusing Tint Foundation
- Ditch the velvet powder puff. A brush lays down pressed powder more evenly, while allowing your skin to show through (puffs tend to leave you looking like a powdered donut). Plus, you'll save money because a good brush lasts a lifetime, while a puff must be replaced every six weeks.
Hallmark #3: Dark, but Never Clumpy, Lashes"Rich women often get their lashes tinted so their eyes always look 'done,' even when they're wearing no makeup," says Ahnert.
- Use volumizing mascara — and a tissue. Take your mascara wand, dip it in the tube, wipe it on a tissue several times to remove excess product, then apply it, says Ahnert. You'll get the natural-looking (nonclumping) effect of tinted lashes, without the financial investment.
- MC recommends: Lancôme Amplicils in Black.
For a posh, plump pout:Splurge: Restylane, $400 and up
Steal: Freeze 24/7 PlumpLips Lip Plumper, $40