Word of Mouth
Don't let imperfect teeth derail your otherwise stellar career. Here, the best procedures and products to help.
By Erin Flaherty
Photo Credit: Jeffrey Westbrook/Studio D
If you've got overlapping teeth:
Try: OraMetrix SureSmile Braces
Time commitment: Six to 18 months
Cost: About $6,000
Chew on this: Your orthodontist uses a 3-D rendering of your teeth to tailor braces around every nook and cranny. You'll have straighter teeth in one-third of the time it takes traditional braces to work.
If you've got a pronounced overbite:
Try: Lingual Braces
Time commitment: 12 to 36 months
Cost: $5,000 to $9,000
Chew on this: Unlike traditional wire braces, lingual braces adhere to the back of your teeth instead of the front. While you may occasionally cut your tongue on them, your friends and colleagues won't ever see them.
If you've got a gap in your smile:
Time commitment: Two to three appointments with a cosmetic dentist
Cost: $1,000 to $1,500 per tooth
Chew on this: If you're not feeling the Lauren Hutton look, your dentist can shave down the teeth on either side of the gap, then bond on veneers to close it up.
Rock a DIY smile with these stellar at-home whitening solutions:
1. Whiteshield Packets, $22 for 50 packs; preventscoffeeteeth.com.
2. Philips Sonicare AirFloss, $100; target.com.
3. Aesop Mouthwash, $25; aesop.com.
4. Go Smile Triple Action Whitening Light System, $313; gosmile.com.
5. Crest 3D White 2 Hour Express Whitestrips, $55; drugstore.com.
6. Britesmile To Go Whitening Pen, $30; dentamart.com.
7. Colgate Optic White Dual Action Toothpaste, $4; target.com.