8 Do's and Don'ts of At-Home Waxing
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
By Diana Vilibert
Photo Credit: Katja Govorushchenko
Skip the salon for your monthly wax and save some cash for a new bikini with an at-home wax kit. We asked VEET Esthetician Anna Stankiewicz for her insider tips on baring all:
1. DO start with legs if youve never given yourself a wax beforeyoull have a good view of what your doing, and the skin is a little tougher, decreasing the odds that you fall off the edge of the bathtub in pain after pulling off the first wax strip.
2. DONT attempt a Brazilian wax by yourselfyou wont be able to see what youre doing as well as a professional, and an obstructed view and hot wax are not a good combination.
3. DO apply tooth numbing cream in the area you plan to wax about half an hour prior to your session. It will temporarily numb the skin, making the experience a little less painful.
4. DONT moisturize right before the wax.
5. DO soak up moisture with baby powder, which will allow the wax to adhere to your hair better.
6. DONT pull at the hair every which way. Make sure youre pulling the wax strip against the grain of hair growth.
7. DO exfoliate and moisturize after waxing to smooth skin and to remove any wax residue.
8. DONT go over the same area more than three times--you will irritate the skin and increase your odds of ingrown hairs.
Ready to go bare? Try these...
VEET Salon Line Ready to Use Wax Strips
NAIR Salon Divine Body Wax Kit
SALLY HANSEN Express Wax Hair Removal Kit For Face & Body