You've been there: You get a breakout—or have full-blown acne on your face—and don't want to leave the house. Ugh. Instead of letting a few pimples ruin your life, follow an acne-fighting skin-care regimen and use a full-coverage foundation until you get your zit-uation under control.
"Look for formulas that are oil-free and tout water as their first ingredient," says Joshua Zeichner, M.D., a cosmetic dermatologist in NYC. "Foundations containing dimethicone are also great, since they absorb excess oil, mattify the skin, and minimize the appearance of larger pores." It's also good if the foundation has acne-preventing ingredients like salicylic acid, he says.
Here are 25 foundations that offer up life-changing coverage so you'll be able to get back to your real life.
1. CoverGirl CG Smoothers AquaSmooth Compact Foundation, $9, is available in 12 shades from light to dark.
Watch the video below to see this foundation in action.
2. Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free All-in-1 ABC Cushion Foundation SPF 50, $17, comes in "Light," "Light/Medium," and "Medium."
3. Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation, $43, comes in 40 shades, from super-light to ultra deep.
4. Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Makeup Blemish Treatment With Salicylic Acid, $14, comes in 14 shades, from "Ivory" (fair) to "Chestnut" (dark).
5. Illuminaré Concealing Mineral Foundation, $29, is available in five shades.
6. Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick, $46, comes in 31 shades.
7. Cover FX Total Cover Cream Foundation, $42, comes in 40 colors.
8. Revlon ColorStay Makeup for Combination/Oily Skin, $13, is available in 20 shades from light to dark.
9. Stila Stay All Day Foundation & Concealer, $44, comes in 15 different shades that suit all skin tones.
10. Boots No. 7 Stay Perfect Foundation SPF 15, $16, is available in 13 shades from light to dark.
11. Younique Touch Mineral Cream Foundation, $32, comes in 10 shades.
Watch the Younique cream foundation in action below at the 2:55 mark.
12. Rodial Airbrush Makeup, $45, is available in four shades.
13. Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Invisible Skin-Fusion Foundation SPF 20, $63, comes in 10 shades.
14. Maybelline New York SuperStay Better Skin Foundation, $8, comes in 12 shades.
15. Flower Beauty Erase Everything Ultimate Foundation, $13, is available in 13 shades.
16. Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid, $45, comes in 14 shades.
17. Lancôme Paris Miracle Cushion Liquid Cushion Compact Foundation, $47, is available in 11 shades, from super-light to super-deep.
18. Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup, $27, is offered in 16 shades.
19. Estée Lauder Double Wear Makeup To Go, $45, comes in 20 shades, from light to dark.
Dr. Zeichner also recommends mineral-based pressed or loose powder foundations. "The larger particle size of the pigment tends not to clog pores the way liquid foundation makeup can," he says.
20. Jay Manuel Beauty Powder to Cream Foundation, $38, comes in 12 shades.
21. MAC Cosmetics Mineralize Loose Foundation, $33, is available in nine shades.
22. Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Powder Foundation, $36, is offered up in 14 shades.
23. Bare Minerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15, $29, is available in 20 shades, from light to dark.
24. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination, $35, comes in five shades, from fair to deep.
25. Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder, $47, is available in 20 shades.
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.