One woman’s experience with microblading—where tiny needles are used to basically tattoo on fuller eyebrows—might make you decide to skip that super-cheap Groupon deal.
The Detroit woman—who preferred to remain anonymous—told WDIV-TV Local 4 in Michigan that initially her brows looked good after the procedure.
"It looked great," she said. "I was happy.”
ICYMI: When microblading, a technician creates tiny incisions using a fine blade lined with tiny needles. Then small amounts of pigment are released, filling the cuts to give eyebrows a fuller look, à la Cara Delevingne.
Microblading is usually pretty expensive—running RealSelf.com. In this woman’s case, she found a deal for $250.per session, according to
Mild scabbing and redness is normal after microblading, but this woman had a different experience after her procedure. “They were starting to get, like, little lumps in it,” she said. The reaction caused her enough concern that she headed to an urgent care center.
“They diagnosed me with cellulitis on my face, gave me antibiotic, and sent me on my way," she said, but things continued to spiral. She took daily photos to track the reaction and finally decided to go to the emergency room.
"They put me on an IV bag antibiotic and then the next morning, they started me on steroids," she said. She was admitted to the hospital, where she stayed for three days.
"I was terrified," she said. "I didn't know. My face is swelling up. My eyes are closing. I'm thinking, 'I don't know what's going to happen.'"
She’s been seeing dermatologist Steven Grekin, M.D., for follow-up care. Grekin told the news station that her reaction could be due to any number of things, including an allergy to the dye used or an infection.
"This is potentially life-threatening if not treated because what's right behind [the cheeks]–sinuses,” Grekin said, explaining that the the sinuses sit close to the brain.
While microblading seems like a harmless procedure, it comes with some very real risks. Side effects can include irritation, rashes, and in a worse-case scenario, infection. But if you go to a place that uses sterile tools and has properly trained staff performing the procedure, your odds of something going wrong are definitely lower.
The most important thing: Don’t judge a salon based on cost, Grekin said. "I think it's buyer beware. I think you have to do your research," he said. Check up on the facility before you commit to treatment to make sure that they wear gloves and use sterile equipment.