When jet-setting across the globe for photoshoots and fashion shows is a job requirement, one must always be prepared. And no one knows that better than Karlie Kloss (who catwalked her way down 64 runways before her 16th birthday). Now, in a new video on her YouTube channel Klossy, the 23-year-old shares her hard-earned wisdom of how to pack the perfect travel bag—which, in her case, happens to be an olive Balenciaga Papier tote.
While a designer purse may top Kloss's list of requirements ("You can wear a T-shirt and jeans and sneakers, but as long as you have a gorgeous bag, you're golden."), the things that inhabit such a stylish carry-on are actually not that glamorous. Still, they are pretty practical.
From eye patches ("People look at me like I'm insane.") to wet wipes ("Planes are really dirty."), here's a list of the supermodel's own essentials to help inspire your next flight—even if it's not en route to Fashion Month:
1. A designer handbag: "It's mandatory that you travel with a chic bag."
2. Your passport, credit card, driver's license and iPhone: "Obviously."
3. Melatonin and a Kindle: "I always get a little bit of jet lag hen I go to Europe...and between the two, [melatonin] helps me fall asleep and [my Kindle] puts me to sleep."
4. Homework: "Now that I'm back in school, I have a ton of reading to do at all times. Planes are great for that."
5. A journal: "I get a ton of ideas when I'm in the taxi cab or when I'm sitting on an airplane or when I'm sitting backstage at a show. Or just about everywhere. So I always bring a Moleskine with me."
6. Greeting cards: "I always bring a couple cards with me in my purse from my sisters or friends and there's nothing that makes me feel more loved than when somebody's thinking about me."
7. *All* your jewelry: Once, "they lost my bag and it had all my sentimental jewelry that even if it wasn't worth that much, it meant the world to me. And it was devastating to lose that so now I've learned my lesson, unfortunately. And now I always travel with my jewelry either on me or in my bag. I do not let it get out of my sight."
8. A camera: "Pictures are my favorite souvenirs."
9. A hairbrush: "You've got to make sure you look good getting off the plane."
10. Eye patches: "When I'm on the plane, I like to use that time to freshen up before I land. I love having eye patches with me in my bad because I will just peel them off and put them on while I'm sitting on the plane."
11. Perfume: "There's nothing worse than getting off an airplane and smelling like you've been on an airplane for eight hours."
12. A toothbrush: "I brush my teeth on the plane."
13. Wet wipes: "Always."