Casey Affleck has responded to the historical sexual harassment allegations against him and the subsequent online backlash over his Best Actor Oscar win.
The 41-year-old actor won an Academy Award on Sunday for his role in Manchester By the Sea, and Academy voters have since been criticized for ignoring the controversy surrounding his lawsuit, which was settled out of court.
He explained to the Boston Globe that both sides in the case are legally prohibited from speaking about it, and claimed that online critics don't know the full story.
"I believe that any kind of mistreatment of anyone for any reason is unacceptable and abhorrent, and everyone deserves to be treated with respect in the workplace and anywhere else," he told the paper. "There's really nothing I can do about it, other than live my life the way I know I live it and to speak to what my own values are and how I try to live by them all the time."
It was claimed that when Casey accepted his award from last year's Best Actress winner, Room's Brie Larson, she didn't look happy, nor did she applaud him. Best Supporting Actress winner Viola Davis was also pictured looking seemingly unimpressed when she posed with fellow Oscar winners during a photo-call backstage
In 2010, Affleck was accused by two women, a producer and director of photography on Joaquin Phoenix's I'm Still Here—in which he starred—of sexual harassment and abuse. Amanda White said Affleck verbally abused her, made a fellow crew member expose himself to her, and threatened her after she refused to stay in the same hotel room as him. White resigned from the production.
Magdalena Gorka claimed that Affleck got in the bed next to her in just his underwear, and he refused to observe Gorka and White's parts of their contracts after they rejected him.
Meanwhile, Affleck's film career continues unaffected as he directs and stars in upcoming drama Light of My Life, and appears alongside Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek in The Old Man and the Gun.