We can't lie, New York Fashion Week's spring shows always have us bemoaning the chilly September air and our newfound layers — we'll take an extra peek of skin wherever we can get it. Perhaps this is why we're so taken with the high-slit skirts that infiltrated the fall runways. Whether the slash is up-to-there or slightly more demure, the sultry detail is toned down on lengthier, yet contoured silhouettes as seen on the Reed Krakoff and Céline catwalks alike.
Whether you're pairing it with an oversized sweater in the same vein as Leigh Lezark, adding sex appeal to layered look la RiRi, or keeping it work-to-happy-hour friendly in a button-up blouse, a slit skirt is an utterly versatile investment. For the colder months, look for styles in a heavy knit or sumptuous leather, or just follow our personal rule of thumb come autumn: throw on a pair of tights. Treat your stems to one of our favorite picks, below:
1. Sea Pencil Skirt, $240; farfetch.com.
2. Alice + Olivia Tani Front-Slit Knit Pencil Skirt, $275; neimanmarcus.com.
3. Topshop Long Bonded Curve Wrap Skirt, $65; topshop.com.
4. Zara Tube Skirt With Slit and Piping, $79.90; zara.com.
5. Mason by Michelle Mason Zippered Front Slit Leather Pencil Skirt, $898; intermixonline.com.
6. BCBGeneration High Slit Pencil Skirt, $39.99; 6pm.com.
7. By Malene Birger Costanza Checked Silk-Crepe Pencil Skirt, $350; net-a-porter.com.