By Lauren Valenti published
When it comes to hair, we romanticize summer. The sun-kissed highlights, the air-dried beach waves. But in reality, it's actually the worst time of year for your mane. And chlorine is just the beginning...
Because #TheMoreYouKnow, here's a quick-and-dirty guide to the *other* things that are causing breakage, dulling color, and doing god knows what else to your hair on the sly.
1. Air conditioning. As much of a luxury as it is, central air is sucking the moisture right out of your strands. Whether you're chained to a desk at the office during the day, blasting the air as you sleep at night, or both, you need to make sure that you're conditioning your hair accordingly. Look to leave-in conditioners and masks for hydration on the regular.
2. Sunglasses. As essential to surviving June-August as iced coffee, shades might as well be glued to your head. But when you're pulling them back and forth from the top of your head to over your eyes, the metal detail is catching the hairs around your hairline and causing permanent damage to the follicles. To avoid this, be super mindful as you place them, or just tuck them into your handbag.
3. Top Knots and High Ponytails. Summer is throw-your-hair-up season. Top knots and ponytails are our lifelines when humidity strikes. However, when worn for extended periods, these taut styles can be damaging to your hairline...even causing alopecia in the worst-case scenarios.
And then there's the whole slew of problems that come from using hair ties on the regular...so when in doubt, just let your hair run free.
4. The Sun. By now you probably know that baking your head in the sun isn't great for your hair. But it's not just a matter of wearing a hat at the beach. You need coverage, whether it's a sizable topper or a heat protectant, on your hair at all times—especially if you color it. If not, you'll pay a dear price by way of dullness, discoloration, dryness, and even breakage. You need hair-to-toe SPF, end of story.
5. Wet Brushing/Styling. Whether you're a beach bum, poolside enthusiast, or you're just showering more often, chances are your hair is wet more often during the summer, and thus more prone to damage. Your strands are dense with water, which means you shouldn't be throwing it up (ahem, reminder above) or mindlessly brushing away at knots. Be patient with tangles—it's always best to tend to them with fingers first—and use a smoothing product, like a detangling elixir, so that's it's as gentle of a process as possible.
Follow Marie Claire on Facebook for the latest celeb news, beauty tips, fascinating reads, livestream video, and more.
I’m the associate web editor at Marie Claire. I love to while away the hours at coffee shops, hunt for vintage clothes, and bask in the rough-and-tumble beauty of NYC. I firmly believe that solitude can be a luxury if you’ve got the right soundtrack—that being the Rolling Stones, of course.
How Fashion's Boldest Legislation Came to Be
The Fashion Sustainability and Social Accountability Act was put forth by a female-led coalition including politicians, citizens and activists.
By Julia Gall
The 6 Winter 2021-2022 Trends to Know and Shop
Beat the cold with these hot fashion statements.
By Sara Holzman
You'll Love Showtime's Buzzy Hit 'Yellowjackets'
The buzzy series (get it?) has become a word-of-mouth sensation.
By Jenny Hollander
19 Deep Conditioners and Masks Your Curly Hair Will Love
Say hello to springy, quenched curls.
By Hannah Morrill
13 Eyebrow Brushes for Your Best Brows Ever
Whether you're going for a full-on feathered look or something more au naturel.
By Zoe Guy
18 Waterproof Eyeliners That Stand Up to Anything
Sweat-proof, smudge-proof, life-proof.
By Maya Allen
18 Spring Nail Colors to Welcome Warmer Weather With
No boring neutrals allowed.
By Hannah Morrill
The 27 Best Natural Makeup Brands With Products That Deliver
Because your skin deserves makeup that looks good while being good for you.
By Maya Allen
The 22 Best Eyebrow Pencils on Earth
Pump up the volume.
By The Editors
The 14 Best Setting Powders for a Perfect Finish
Sweat and oil have met their match.
By Taylore Glynn
The 15 Best Hair Dryer Brushes
Bombshell hair, coming right up.
By Tatjana Freund