The actress and face of the new Ralph Lauren fragrance, Woman, talks her favorite show to binge, the best career move she ever made, and why you won’t find her at a roller rink.
1. If I weren’t an actress, I’d be: A teacher. I like the idea of working with kids and being able to help someone express their thoughts and open up.
2. Best career advice I’ve gotten: To not follow the money, but to follow the education of projects.
3. The three qualities that got me where I am today: I’m very thorough, I enjoy collaborating, and I’m curious about people who are different from me.
4. Moment I felt I’d made it: After Zero Dark Thirty, I had this sense of financial stability that I’ve never experienced before in my whole life.
5. Kind of work I’d do for free: Work with animals.
6. Favorite perk of the job: The fashion. It’s wonderful to work with designers to help bring their creations to life.
A photo posted by on
7. Worst pitfall of the job: People stop saying no to you—that’s when you start going on a downward spiral.
8. Change I’d like to see in my industry: Lose its fear of women in powerful positions.
9. Who I admire and why: My mother, because she raised three kids as a single mom. That’s probably the hardest job there is.
10. Last thing I binge-watched: The Crown [Netflix], because it’s a story of a woman’s power and trying to navigate a relationship without emasculating her husband.
11. Book that left a lasting impression on me: Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century, which was the collection of letters between Taylor and Burton. For me, it was more about what I didn’t want in a relationship than what I long for.
12. Movie with the greatest ending: The Sixth Sense.
13. On my bucket list: To go on a safari in Africa.
14. Cocktail of choice: Bellini.
A photo posted by on
15. My perfect day would begin: With the sounds of birds.
16. My perfect day would end: With a beautiful sunset.
17. What every woman should try once in her lifetime: Going to a restaurant and having dinner by herself.
18. One thing I’m exceptionally good at: Acting. We all have to say we are good at our own professions—it’s important.
19. One thing I’m epically bad at: Roller-skating.
20. Superhero power I’d want to have: To stop, rewind, and fast-forward time, like a VCR. I would pause to be able to see everything around me and really feel the moment more.
21. Relationship advice to my younger self: If you think he’s cheating on you, he probably is.
22. Most agonizing career decision I've ever made: I've never made an agonizing career decision!
23. Easiest career decision I've ever made: Saying "yes" to director Terrence Malik's screenplay Tree of Life.
24. How I made my first dollar: Probably a lemonade stand.
25. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: A bath.
26. What my career in five years looks like: I'm hoping to create more opportunities for women in the industry. That is a great passion of mine.
27. Craziest thing I ever did for love: I'm very shy, so I don't do public displays of affection. I think love is intimate, and once it becomes a public thing is more about getting attention than being real.
28. Something I did recently for myself, because, why not: I left my phone at home and went for a walk in the countryside. It's something I do when I get anxious. It's important to be without your phone sometimes—it's the best self-care you can do.
Selena Gomez’s New Hair Transformation Is So Major
The actress debuted super-long locks, freshly cut bangs, and an auburn hue.
By Samantha Holender
The Very Best Memorial Day Fashion Sales of 2022
Time to find a new bathing suit, bag, or wedding guest dress!
By Julia Marzovilla
The Wrong Formula
In the face of a baby food shortage, desperate moms are turning to strangers on Facebook to help—but social media shouldn't be the answer.
By Hayley Phelan
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors
Surprise! Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas Are Parents
They welcomed a baby via surrogate.
By Neha Prakash
Meghan and Harry Share First Photo of Their Daughter Lilibet Diana
The Sussex's holiday card is here!
By Rachel Epstein
The 50 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes Ever
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Alicia Keys Gets What She Wants
With her jazzy new album, Keys, the singer stopped worrying about everything except what matters: Her own opinion.
By Jessica Herndon
Brooke Shields on Reinventing Yourself, Making Friends in Your 40s, and More
The actress and CEO shared inspiring advice during a panel at 'Marie Claire's' "Power Trip: Off the Grid" conference.
By Rachel Epstein