1. Robert De Niro was offered the role of Captain Smith, but turned it down due to illness.
2. DELETED SCENE: When Jack sings "Come Josephine" to Rose when they're on the prow of the ship (just before she says, "I'm flying!") she laughs. That's because there's a deleted scene where they're drunkenly singing it after they leave the third-class dance.
3. Reason no. 573 to love Kate Winslet: After she realized that she had to be naked in front of Leo, she decided to break the ice by flashing him when they met for the first time. That scene was the first they filmed together.
4. Reason no. 574: James Cameron says Kate came up with her line, "This is where we first met," when they balance on the back of the boat as the ship is sinking. Likewise with the moment where she spits in Cal's face, except no one told Billy Zane, so his reaction is genuine.
5. DELETED SCENE: Here's Rose talking about her dreams and Jack looking dreamy:
6. Rob Lowe, Rupert Everett, Peter Greene, and Pierce Brosnan were all reportedly in the running to play Cal, before Billy Zane was cast.
7. At the very end of the film, when Rose dies and is reunited with Jack on the staircase of the Titanic, the time on the clock reads 2:20, which is the same time the ship sank.
8. Gwyneth Paltrow was reportedly also being lined up to play Rose Dewitt Bukater, but she lost to Kate Winslet. Casting website NotStarring also claims that Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Claire Danes, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Uma Thurman, Charlize Theron, and Reese Witherspoon were connected with potentially playing the part at one time or another.
9. Here is Kate's Titanic screen test:
10. That line where Jack asks Rose to "lie on that bed, uh, I mean couch," was actually scripted as "lie on that couch." Leo made a genuine mistake, but James Cameron decided to keep it in because it was so LOL.
11. The film was so damn successful that it was in the theater for ages, meaning it ended up being the first film to be released on video while it was still being shown in theaters.
12. Lindsay Lohan—then 8—was originally going to play little girl Cora (Jack: "You're still my best girl"), but James Cameron thought her red hair was too similar to Rose and her mother Ruth's.
13. DELETED SCENE: Cal being an absolute cad:
14. You know that line that Jack says about ice fishing and how he fell in and it was like "being stabbed with a thousand knives all over your body"? This was an actual quote from a Titanic survivor describing the temperature of the North Atlantic water.
15. Most of the stunt men who worked in the engine room scenes were only about 5 feet tall, so that the room looked bigger.
16. DELETED SCENE: Here are Rose and Jack flirting with ice just for fun. Little did they know he was going to die... (Sorry. Dark.)
17. When Rose is running through the corridors trying to find Jack and has to get into that icy water, her reaction was real. The water was actually from the Pacific Ocean and it was freezing.
18. Speaking of which, Kate refused to wear a wetsuit during the water scenes. As a result, she caught pneumonia at one point.
19. That scene where Jack and Tommy Ryan pull up a bench to smash through the third-class grate and let people out—Leo actually injured his shoulder. Poor Leo. Poor, poor Leo.
20. DELETED SCENE: Molly Brown making the worst joke of all time:
21. The studios apparently wanted Matthew McConaughey as Jack, but James Cameron insisted on Leonardo DiCaprio. Christian Bale's ex-publicist has claimed that Christian also auditioned but didn't get the part. Plus, NotStarring claims that Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and Macaulay Culkin were also connected with the role.
22. On one of the final days of shooting in Nova Scotia, the seafood chowder was spiked with PCP, resulting in 80 members of the crew getting sick. Many were hospitalized and complained of hallucinations. James Cameron reportedly made himself vomit when he realized and Bill Paxton said later: "I remember a T-shirt we got—somebody made a T-shirt, and it was the Titanic going down in a big bowl of chowder. I wish I still had that T-shirt."
23. DELETED SCENE: There was extra making out! In the boiler room!
24. Arguably the greatest line of the film (and cinema history as a whole), "I'm the king of the world!" was ad-libbed by Leo. Because he's a genius.
25. An actual test has been done to see if Jack could have joined Rose on the floating door and…he could. So Jack died in vain. (But obviously James Cameron says that needed to happen as part of the story, albeit he could have used a smaller door for factual accuracy).
26. Also—the door was a real thing. It survived the sinking and is on display at a museum in Nova Scotia. Of course, no one knows if it was used as a flotation device.
27. DELETED SCENE: Rose visits Jack in third-class and they *definitely* have a moment:
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.