Get Your Personal Risk Score
Are you playing it too safe? Take this exclusive quiz to find out how harm avoidant you are.
By Dr. Robert C. Cloninger
Answer "True" or "False" to the following statements:
1. I usually am confident that everything will go well, even in situations that worry most people.
2. I often feel tense and worried in unfamiliar situations, even when others feel there is little to worry about.
3. I often avoid meeting strangers because I lack confidence with people I do not know.
4. I have less energy and get tired more quickly than most people.
5. Usually I am more worried than most people that something might go wrong in the future.
6. I usually stay calm and secure in situations that most people would find physically dangerous.
7. When I have to meet a group of strangers, I am more shy than most people.
8. I usually feel much more confident and energetic than most people, even after minor illnesses or stress.
9. If I am embarrassed or humiliated, I get over it very quickly.
10. I often feel tense and worried in unfamiliar situations, even when others feel there is no danger at all.
11. I would probably stay relaxed and outgoing when meeting a group of strangers, even if I were told they are unfriendly.
12. It is extremely difficult for me to adjust to changes in my usual way of doing things because I get so tense, tired, or worried.
13. I nearly always stay relaxed and carefree, even when nearly everyone else is fearful.
14. I am usually confident that I can easily do things that most people would consider dangerous (such as driving an automobile fast on a wet or icy road) .
15. I feel very confident and sure of myself in almost all social situations.
16. I am more energetic and tire less quickly than most people.
17. I often stop what I am doing because I get worried, even when my friends tell me everything will go well.
18. I usually feel tense and worried when I have to do something new and unfamiliar.
19. I am not shy with strangers at al.
20. I recover more quickly than most people from minor illnesses or stress.
Go to the next page to get your scores.