What Nutritionists Really Eat
By Danielle Braff and Erin Flaherty
Location: Los Angeles and Fort Collins, CO
Weight: 128 to 132 pounds
Clients: Confidential, but range from Grammy and Oscar winners to Super Bowl champs and Olympic athletes.
The tab: $125 to $285 for in-office visit. $2,000 to $5,000 per day on location.
Fitness regimen: Rides horses three days per week, which "really helps work my core, glutes, and thighs all my trouble areas!" Interval running on a treadmill two times per week.
Indulgences: Ice cream, organic whipped cream, and French toast.
M.O.: "I cleanse at least twice a year with the Optimal Cleanse by East West Essentials and have 10 days of food prepared for me via a program I work with called Paleta This is my way of taking care of myself and releasing toxins. I view food as my number one form of medicine. For example, if I wake up and feel like I'm getting a cold, I'll avoid dairy and focus on high vitamin-C-rich foods, like spinach and strawberries."
Core advice: "With a lot of my female clients, I focus on foods that will help establish the body's hormone balance. Balancing blood sugar throughout the day can make a huge impact on mood, energy, and even sleep. Midsection or sudden weight gain is a sign of something being out of balance. Also, if it says fat-free, sugar-free, or nonfat, don't buy it. These will crash out your metabolism."
- Oatmeal, 8 oz, with rice milk, 4 fl oz, a handful of raw pecans, about 1 oz, and berries, 4 oz, with Stevia and cinnamon sprinkled on top 483 calories
- Apple with 2 tbsp of raw almond butter 224 calories
- Trader Joe's brown-rice tortilla, hummus, 2 oz, arugula, 8 oz, ground turkey, 4 oz, and avocado, 4 oz 746 calories
- Fage 2 percent Greek yogurt, 7 oz, with 2 tbsp flaxseed, 2 tbsp wheat germ, Stevia, and cinnamon 304 calories
- Grilled halibut, cubed, 6 oz, with pineapple, 4 oz 350 calories
- Vegetable stir-fry (red and orange bell peppers, red onion, and asparagus), 6 to 8 oz, mixed with brown rice, 4 oz, with 1 tbsp Bragg amino acids and 1 tsp butter 289 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES: 2,396