Every year Earth Day rolls around, that inevitable question — what can I do better? — rolls around with it. Sometimes the answers are simple: throw water bottles away in the recycling bin; reuse takeout tupperware; don't cave to the litter monster. But what about being eco-friendly in our day-to-day beauty routines?
Product labels are far from the mind when rushing to get dolled up in the morning, and "going green" is easily disregarded when choosing conditioners and concealers that do their job for your long days. But turning your beauty routine green doesn't have to be an impossible task! Celebrate Earth Day with these five tips and tricks.
1. From a stick to a tar: We all love a good lipstick, but sometimes the brands we use can be filled with loads of unfriendly chemicals for our skin and the planet. Try switching from a lipstick to a natural lip tar, like Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics. The OCC tars are 100-percent natural and made without any kind of animal testing — this self-proclaimed "vegan" line is better for your skin, and the clear baggie it comes in is more easily recycled than the usual lip tube.
2. Ditch the liquid soap and go for the bar: We hate to admit it, but sometimes recycling isn't easy during a hectic day. Try using a bar soap instead of a liquid — usually it'll be individually wrapped and the packaging can be easily trashed. Elegant Rose Boutique has the best all-natural, scented bar soaps. That "lavender mint splash sea salt" is to die for.
3. Use a natural, scented deodorant: If you have a deodorant that can double as a perfume, you'll be using less bottles and going just a bit more green! The Healthy Deodorant line from Lavanila has a dozen delightful scents and is made without any kind of sulfates or synthetics.
4. Homemade skin treatments: Trouble with blackheads? Who doesn't. Instead of going out and purchasing a ton of products in plastic bottles, make an at-home honey and lemon mixture and plop it right on those problem areas. It's seriously miraculous.
5. Natural aromatherapy: Stressed? You don't have to go to a spa or try out dozens of sketchy "relax now" treatments. Go for a 100-percent natural and nontoxic brand like Tata Harper's aromatherapy products. You'll sense a change in your emotions and mood right away — and treating yourself to some "me time" can be totally guilt free.
Dark Spot Correctors for Even, Glowing Skin
Bright, even skin, coming right up.
By Tatjana Freund
Chic Puzzles for Adults That Will Help Ease Your Mind for a Bit
So cute you'll want to frame 'em.
By Rachel Epstein
Are Holly and Nathan Together After 'Too Hot to Handle'?
What happened to the resort's steamiest couple?
By The Editors
The Soap Brow Trend, Explained
The TikTok youths are at it again.
By Tatjana Freund
The 12 Best Makeup Bags for All Your Beauty Goodies
Marie Kondo would be proud.
By Alexis Gaskin
The 17 Best Drugstore Bronzers for All Skin Tones
Vacation in a bottle (or pan).
By Julia Marzovilla
18 Waterproof Eyeliners That Stand Up to Anything
Sweat-proof, smudge-proof, life-proof.
By Maya Allen
18 Spring Nail Colors to Welcome Warmer Weather With
No boring neutrals allowed.
By Hannah Morrill
The 14 Best Setting Powders for a Perfect Finish
Sweat and oil have met their match.
By Taylore Glynn
The 17 Best Hair Masks for Damaged Hair
Luscious, healthy strands, here we come!
By Tatjana Freund
Why Your Mascara Keeps Sliding and Slipping — and How to Stop It
Surprise: It's easy to prevent.
By Chloe Metzger