The actress makes her first children’s movie—this month’s Toy Story 4—but a trip to Morocco and the power of mind control remain elusive.
1. If I weren’t an actress, I’d be: A midwife.
2. Best career advice I’ve gotten: Take little moments to notice and enjoy what’s happening. And trust your instincts.
3. Most gracious response to rejection or career setback: Thanks for considering me for this part.
4. Least gracious response to rejection/career setback: Eff you.
5. The three qualities that got me where I am today: Stubbornness, playfulness,
and strategic thinking. Also good fortune, but I’m not sure that’s a quality.
6. Moment I felt I made it: When so many people loved True Romance, even though it was a box-office flop.
7. Most agonizing career decision I’ve ever made: I turned down Last Exit to Brooklyn because I was pregnant.
8. Kind of work I’d do for free: Aid work with GiveLove, creating ecological sanitation solutions in the developing world.
9. Favorite perk of the job: Laughing with the crew and actors.
10. How did you make your first dollar? Babysitting.
11. Change I’d like to see in my industry: More inclusive casting and above-the-line positions for people of color and all classes of people who are discriminated against. I feel like our stories are limited because of our lack of representation, and that’s unfortunate for art.
12. Who do you admire and why? State senator Pat Spearman. She pushed to pass the Equal Rights Amendment in Nevada, the first state to ratify it in 35 years. Jennifer Carroll Foy, a politician from Virginia and a representative in the state assembly; she’s a rising star and someone to really watch. And Stacey Abrams.
13. Last thing you binge-watched? Baskets on FX.
14. Book that left a lasting impression on you? The Red Tent.
15. Movie with the greatest ending: Sunrise, directed by F.W. Murnau.
16. Song I’d want played at my funeral: “Cosmic Dancer,” by T-Rex.
17. On my bucket list: Go to Morocco.
18. Food I’m not ashamed to admit I love: McDonald’s french fries.
19: Cocktail of choice: I like to be surprised by the bartender. Something fruity but not too sweet.
20. What should every woman try once in her lifetime? A massage.
21. How would your perfect day begin? Every day with my boyfriend is perfect.
22. How would your perfect day end? Going to sleep with my boyfriend.
23. If I could live in a foreign country, it would be: Greece.
24. One thing I’m exceptionally good at: Napping.
25. One thing I’m epically bad at: Spelling.
26. Superhero power I’d want to have: Mind control.
27. How do you clear your mind after a crappy day? A hot bath.
28. Something nice I did for myself recently, because hey, why not: Bought myself some beautiful shoes.
29. The beauty essential you’d have to pry out of my cold, dead hands: Coconut oil.
And I love my friend Tara Smith’s Feed the Root, which is a really tingly peppermint shampoo.
30. The three qualities I thought I wanted in a partner: Honesty, humor, intelligence.
31. The three qualities I now know matter: Honesty, humor, intelligence.
32. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: Go easy on yourself, and take your time to heal. Also remember that something better is waiting.
33. Relationship advice to my younger self: You can’t change people.
34. What my high school boyfriend/girlfriend would say about me: She’s sweet.
Follow her @pattyarquette
A version of this article originally appeared in the July 2019 issue of Marie Claire.
Layered Haircuts and Hairstyles for Every Face Shape
Low-maintenance, high style.
By Samantha Holender
Worth It: Loewe's Gradient Puzzle Bag
The signature puzzle-piece purse has three new colors.
By Sara Holzman
How to Make Your Bikini Wax Less Painful, According to Experts
It all starts with preparation.
By Samantha Holender
22 Captivating Films About Royal Life
Once you've finished 'The Crown,' cue up one of these royally good films.
By Nicole Briese
Olivia Wilde's Movie Starring Harry Styles and Florence Pugh Officially Has a Release Date
Trying and failing not to scream.
By Iris Goldsztajn
Sandra Bullock Revealed the Movie She's Embarrassed About Making
Also Daniel Radcliffe was in two minds about 'Harry Potter.'
By Iris Goldsztajn
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors
Surprise! Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas Are Parents
They welcomed a baby via surrogate.
By Neha Prakash
Meghan and Harry Share First Photo of Their Daughter Lilibet Diana
The Sussex's holiday card is here!
By Rachel Epstein
The 50 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes Ever
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton