Playing a cult escapee turned New Yorker, Ellie Kemper continues to stay alive, dammit, when Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt returns to Netflix this month. Here, a quick game of tell-all with the star:
1. If I weren't an actress, I'd be: A teacher.
2. Best career advice I've gotten: Create your own material.
3. The three qualities that got me where I am today: A large, round moon face; red hair that I now have to dye; and several substantial bribes.
4. Moment I felt I'd made it: Being cast as Erin Hannon on NBC's The Office.
5. Kind of work I'd do for free: Something involving taste-testing gooey butter cake.
6. Favorite perk of the job: Working with brilliant artists.
7. Worst pitfall of the job: Waiting.
8. How I made my first dollar: Babysitting the neighbor kids.
9. Who do you admire and why? Tina Fey, because she works hard and doesn't complain.
10. Last thing I binge-watched: Final month of Late Show with David Letterman.
11. Book that left a lasting impression on me: The Easter Parade by Richard Yates.
12. Song that always makes me cry: Sufjan Stevens' "Fourth of July."
13. Song I want played at my funeral: Andraé Crouch's "Soon and Very Soon."
14. First album I bought: Belinda Carlisle's Runaway Horses.
15. If I could live in a foreign country, it would be: England.
16. One thing I'm exceptionally good at: Keeping a conversation going.
17. One thing I'm epically bad at: Ending a conversation.
18. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: A nice long run.
19. Something nice I did for myself recently because, hey, why not? Asked/told my husband to give me a foot massage.
20. If I could compete in an Olympic sport, I'd like it to be: Figure skating.
21. My first kiss: Was slobbery and reeked of Italian food.
22. The three qualities I thought I wanted in a partner: Very tall, brown hair, kind.
23. The three qualities I know now matter: Fairly tall, brown hair, kind.
24. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: One day at a time.
25. What my high school boyfriend would say about me: She ate too much Italian food.
This article appears in the April issue of Marie Claire, on newsstands now.
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.