The star of BET drama Being Mary Jane is a newly minted author—her fearless personal essay collection, We're Going to Need More Wine (opens in new tab), comes out this month.
1. If I weren't an actress, I'd be: A lawyer. I'd be fighting for the rights of the oppressed.
2. Best career advice I've gotten: Don't be an asshole.
3. Most gracious response to a career setback: Sending flowers or a handwritten note to the actress who got the job.
4. Least gracious response to a career setback: Stalking the actor's Instagram and zooming in on their pics and finding flaws...flaws that still not change the fact they got the job and I didn't!
5. The three qualities that got me where I am today: Punctuality, photographic memory, and humor.
6. Moment I felt I made it: The first time someone who wasn't related to me or someone I went to school with knew my name while traveling.
7. Most agonizing career decision I've ever made: Turning down projects I love because I knew I didn't have the energy to give the job 100 percent.
8. Easiest career decision I've ever made: Turning down a job where I'd have to work with a known racist, sexist bigot.
9. Kind of work I'd do for free: Hanging out with dogs.
10. Favorite perk of the job: Hair and makeup, endless Twizzlers.
11. Worst pitfall of the job: Working with hair and or makeup people that never felt the need to learn how to do black women.
12. What my career looks like in 5 years: More writing, more producing, and more creating projects for underrepresented people.
14. How I made my first dollar: Winning a race against my cousins.
15. Who I admire and why: Anyone who kicks ass and is unapologetic.
16. Last thing I binge-watched: Stranger Things.
17. Book that left a lasting impression on me: Autobiography of Malcolm X.
18. Song that always makes me cry: "Love Will Lead You Back," by Taylor Dane.
20. Song I want played at my funeral: "Night to Remember," by Shalamar.
21. First album I bought: New Edition's first album, "Candy Girl."
22. On my bucket list: Machu Picchu.
23. Food I'm not ashamed to admit I love: Margarine or imitation crab.
24. Cocktail of choice: Tequila on the rocks with lime.
27. How my perfect day would begin: Sleeping in extremely late.
28. How my perfect day would end: Dancing on a table listening to '80s and '90s R&B.
35. The last time I felt beautiful was: This morning after I worked out.
36. The beauty essential you have to pry out of my cold, dead hands: One gallon of water.
37. My first kiss: My first real kiss was with Brian Weaver.
40. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: Watch Splendor in the Grass.
41. Relationship advice to my younger self: Have more sex, lots of it, and demand you have orgasms as well.
This article appears in the October issue of Marie Claire, on newsstands September 19.
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors