1. There's no cute way to pick up poop.
2. "The dog ate my Louis Vuitton" is not a valid excuse for a refund.
3. You might have to cut a great date short to go feed the dog. Then again, "I've got to get home to the dog" is a good excuse to get out of a bad date.
4. You pup will not refrain from licking his own genitals just because you have company.
5. Passersby on the street will talk to the dog, not to you. They'll ooh, ahh, and pet your pooch without so much as a glance in your general direction.
6. Until the dog hair look suddenly comes into style, you'll have to keep a lint roller by the door. And in your car.
7. You get used to eating while holding your plate over your head. And propping the garbage up on the counter before you leave your apartment.
9. Your friends love coming over to play with your dog but, curiously, they will rarely offer to dog-sit. You want to take a vacation? Housing your dog for the week could cost more than housing you.
10. Your dog is a live-in therapist, security guard, doorman, exterminator, floor cleaner, movie-night companion, cuddle buddy and best friend. And you wouldn't change them for the world.
Photo Credit: Instagram
'On Rotation' Is Our July Book Club Pick
Read an excerpt from Shirlene Obuobi's debut novel, here, then dive in with us throughout the month.
By Marie Claire
How Melanie Travis Built Andie Into a Swimwear Giant
Plus, how brands are getting LGBTQ+ marketing all wrong. (Hint: stop rainbow-washing your brand each June.)
By Gabrielle Ulubay
Lizzo Embodies Disco-Ball Chic at the BET Awards
By Iris Goldsztajn
Of Murder and Motherhood
Their children are gone but these women are united in their fight for justice and answers.
By Katya Cengel
60 Gifts for Mom She'll Truly Love
From creature comforts to luxe indulgences.
By Sara Holzman
'Skye Falling' Deserves a Spot on Your Summer Reading List
In July, Marie Claire read Mia McKenzie's 'Skye Falling.' See what the #ReadWithMC community thought about the book here.
By Marie Claire
Adria Biles, Simone Biles' Sister, Is a Former Gymnast and Simone's Biggest Fan
Simone Biles' little sister, Adria Biles, is a fellow gymnast, a Simone lookalike, and a fierce champion of her famous sister.
By Katherine J Igoe
Melissa Moore's 'Life After Happy Face' Podcast Looks at Killers Through New Eyes
The true crime expert and daughter of the Happy Face Killer opens up to Marie Claire about destigmatizing the label of 'criminal's kid.'
By Maria Ricapito
Won't Call the Midwife
With high rates of maternal mortality and coercion in hospital settings, more American women are exploring childbirth without any medical assistance whatsoever. The Free Birth Society provides community, resources, and validation for these convention buckers. But experts warn that choice comes at the expense of safety.
By Rebecca Grant
Michelle Zauner's 'Crying in H Mart' Is Deeply Moving
"She made me want to eat and cry at the same time..."
By Rachel Epstein
Being Estranged From My Mom Is Hard. Mother’s Day Makes It Harder
It’s high time to start representing the different types of mother-daughter relationships—or lack thereof—that exist during the holiday.
By Christina Wyman