Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Marie Claire on Facebook (opens in new tab)
RealBeauty.com (opens in new tab) has the lowdown on everything you ever wanted to know (and some things you didn't!) on dealing with that time of the month. The facts that surprised us:
1. The more stressed you are, the worse your symptoms (opens in new tab). Try calming down with yoga a few times and week and going to your happy place when you're feeling on edge (our happy place is cuteoverload.com!)
2. Caffeine will make you more moody. Your morning pick-me-up might be making you crash and burn hours after that first cup, so switch to decaf (opens in new tab) while you're PSMing.
3. It can leave you tongue-tied. Progesterone interferes with your verbal ability (opens in new tab), so if you're losing your train of thought at meetings, your period may be to blame.
4. It can be contagious. Is your guy acting moody around the time your period hits? There's some evidence monthly testosterone fluctuations can produce PMS-like symptoms in men (opens in new tab).
5. Sunlight can ease your symptoms. Just 20 minutes outside in natural light can stimulate serotonin and give you a mood boost (opens in new tab).
For more surprising facts, debunked myths, and tips for dealing with your PMS, go to RealBeauty.com (opens in new tab).
Prince Andrew Still Receiving Taxpayer-Funded Police Protection
Protecting the Duke of York doesn't come cheap.
By Alicia Lutes
Don't Insult Queen Elizabeth's Corgis
A family member said they "should be shot" and QEII had something to say about it.
By Alicia Lutes
How to Treat Hormonal Acne: A Dermatologist’s Guide
Peace out, PMS pimples.
By Samantha Holender
Senator Klobuchar: "Early Detection Saves Lives. It Saved Mine"
Senator and breast cancer survivor Amy Klobuchar is encouraging women not to put off preventative care any longer.
By Senator Amy Klobuchar
How Being a Plus-Size Nude Model Made Me Finally Love My Body
I'm plus size, but after I decided to pose nude for photos, I suddenly felt more body positive.
By Kelly Burch
I'm an Egg Donor. Why Was It So Difficult for Me to Tell People That?
Much like abortion, surrogacy, and IVF, becoming an egg donor was a reproductive choice that felt unfit for society’s standards of womanhood.
By Lauryn Chamberlain
The 20 Best Probiotics to Keep Your Gut in Check
Gut health = wealth.
By Julia Marzovilla
Simone Biles Is Out of the Team Final at the Tokyo Olympics
She withdrew from the event due to a medical issue, according to USA Gymnastics.
By Rachel Epstein
The Truth About Thigh Gaps
We're going to need you to stop right there.
By Kenny Thapoung
3 Women On What It’s Like Living With An “Invisible” Condition
Despite having no outward signs, they can be brutal on the body and the mind. Here’s how each woman deals with having illnesses others often don’t understand.
By Emily Shiffer
The High Price of Living With Chronic Pain
Three women open up about how their conditions impact their bodies—and their wallets.
By Alice Oglethorpe