1. "Your family really scares me." Either the constant contact, or the gruff father, or the crazy sister... there's some aspect here that he will never name (you don't mess with a girl's family) but it scares the sh*t out of him.
2. "I'm not sure how good I am at that sex thing you seem to enjoy." Whatever "that thing" may be, however much you've encouraged or praised it, he's still not sure if he's a pro at it and feels a little self-conscious each time. The female body is an elaborate and wondrous thing.
3. "I'm not 100% where I want to be professionally." Who is, really? Even if he's wildly successful he'll still have ambition to continue to climb whatever ladder he's on. The more a man says how amazing he's doing professionally, the more insecure he usually is about it.
4. "I have a body complex as well." He sucks in his gut every time he takes off his shirt and hopes you don't notice.
5. "I have occasional doubts about us." No one in a relationship is 100 percent sure all of the time. Mostly he's head over heels for you, but once in a blue moon he does a double take while contemplating your future.
6. "Playing with my friend's kid completely triggers my paternal instinct." He doesn't want to freak you out, and he's not necessarily ready for kids—but damn is that baby cute.
7. "He's scared to say 'I love you' first, too." Unless you get him drunk. Then he might just blurt out "I love you," on the third date. True story.
8. "I am completely in love with your [insert strange trait here]." There is one thing about you that every time he sees or hears it he softens a little bit inside. But that's his secret, and maybe it's okay that he keeps that particular treasured act to himself.
How to Be The Best Sex He's Ever Had
5 Relationship Faux Pas We've All Made At Least Once
The 10 Best Rom-Coms to Watch With Your Man (Who Hates Rom-Coms)
Photo Credit: Getty Images
The Perfumer Behind Last Year's Most Talked-About Fragrance Just Released Another Perfect Scent
Aqua Media Cologne forte embodies a feeling of balance and harmony.
By Deena Campbell
'Yellowface' Is Our June Book Club Pick
Read an excerpt from R.F. Kuang's latest novel, here, then dive in with us throughout the month.
By Brooke Knappenberger
I Scoured the Summer Runways—Here Are the Six Shoe Trends Actually Worth Buying
Hit the ground running this season.
By Emma Childs
30 Female-Friendly Porn Websites for Any Mood
All the best websites, right this way.
By Kayleigh Roberts
The 82 Best Cheap Date Ideas for Couples on a Budget
"Love don't cost a thing." —J.Lo
By The Editors
Diary of a Non-Monogamist
Rachel Krantz, author of the new book 'Open,' shares the ups and downs of her journey into the world of open relationships.
By Abigail Pesta
COVID Forced My Polyamorous Marriage to Become Monogamous
For Melanie LaForce, pandemic-induced social distancing guidelines meant she could no longer see men outside of her marriage. But monogamy didn't just change her relationship with her husband—it changed her relationship with herself.
By Melanie LaForce
How the pandemic has mutated our most personal disunions.
By Gretchen Voss
16 At-Home Date Ideas When You're Stuck Indoors
Staying in doesn't have to be boring.
By Katherine J. Igoe
Long Distance Relationship Gift Ideas for Couples Who've Made It This Far
Alexa, play "A Thousand Miles."
By Jaimie Potters
15 Couples on How 2020 Rocked Their Relationship
Couples confessed to Marie Claire how this year's many multi-stressors tested the limits of their love.
By Sherry Amatenstein, LCSW