By Lauren Valenti published
If you're mystified by highlighting, fear not—we're right there with you, which is why we're decoding the contouring technique, once and for all.
Here, celebrity makeup artist Kira Nasrat helps us map out exactly where on the face you should be strobing for a sculpted, lit-from-within glow this summer.
1. Keep your skin fresh and hydrated. "Highlight looks best when your skin looks fresh and hydrated," she explains. "The last thing you want to do is highlight dry, flaky dull skin." To prep the skin, exfoliate then hydrate your skin with a moisturizer. Once it's moisturized, you can even out your skin tone with a lightweight foundation or concealer if needed.
2. Choose the right formula. Powder is best for oily skin while cream-based formulas are best for dry skin, she says."Try to stay away from products that look glittery," advises Nasrat. "It's supposed to look like a pretty sheen, not a disco ball on the cheekbones!"
1. Tom Ford Shade & Illuminate Highlighter & Shader Duet, $80; shop.nordstrom.com.
2. Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow Face Sculpt & Highlight, $68; shop.nordstrom.com.
3. Don't overdo it. "Highlighting should be subtle and should give the effect that your skin is glowing and dewy," says Nasrat. The trick is start with a small amount and remember you can alway layer more if need be.
4. Apply the highlighter with your ring finger or a flat synthetic concealer brush. "I apply highlighters by first warming the cream between my fingers then pressing onto the skin," she says. "This helps the product melt right in to the skin."
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.
I’m the associate web editor at Marie Claire. I love to while away the hours at coffee shops, hunt for vintage clothes, and bask in the rough-and-tumble beauty of NYC. I firmly believe that solitude can be a luxury if you’ve got the right soundtrack—that being the Rolling Stones, of course.
'Never Have I Ever' Season 3: Everything We Know
There's plenty more in store for Devi next season.
By Neha Prakash
Ankle Boots to Buy Now and Wear Forever
Practical, durable, and stylish to boot.
By Sara Holzman
Georgia From 'Too Hot to Handle' Is Making a Splash
Get to know the Aussie favorite.
By Quinci LeGardye
The 21 Best Retinol Eye Creams for Serious Results
Crow's feet and dark circles are shaking.
By Hannah Morrill
20 Overnight Face Masks That Work Magic While You Sleep
Wake up pretty.
By Tatjana Freund
The 12 Best Makeup Bags for All Your Beauty Goodies
Marie Kondo would be proud.
By Alexis Gaskin
The Blonde Hair Dictionary: Defining Every Gilded Shade Under the Sun
So you can find the exact hue for you.
By Chloe Metzger
The 30 Best Self-Tanners That Will Never, Ever Streak
Bronze up dull, dry skin.
By Julia Marzovilla
My Beauty DNA: Deepika Padukone
The Bollywood superstar shares her ethos around beauty and how her upbringing is helping her carve out a unique niche in the wellness industry.
By Deepika Padukone as told to Neha Prakash
The 12 Best Satin and Silk Hair Wraps for Your Natural Hair
Farewell to unruly hair days.
By Chelsea Hall
The 17 Best Drugstore Bronzers for All Skin Tones
Vacation in a bottle (or pan).
By Julia Marzovilla