Kim Kardashian may be married, and a notorious non-partier, but that doesn't make her immune to the perils of morning-after hair.
She, too, falls victim to rumpled texture and unfortunate tangles. So, in that spirit of rebounding, her and celebrity hairstylist/confidante Jen Atkin put their heads together and came up with the ultimate solution: A sleek, center part ponytail. Why? The secret weapon for the look can be found in even the most gnarly-looking dude bathrooms.
"I always say that this [style] is good for the walk of shame," explains Atkin. "You can go and find pomade or wax in a guy's bathroom and use it to get a really nice, sleek look."
Now, take notes on Atkin's step-by-step instruction because as Kim herself points out, "A sleek ponytail is always a chic look—even the morning after lol."
1. Using a rat comb, center part your hair all the way back to the crown then separate the hair into two sections, one in the front, one in the back. Use your ear as a guide for making the divide.
2. Take just the back section and smooth a gel, like Kérastase's Forme Fatale, into the hair concentrating especially on the first two inches of hair near the neck so the ponytail will be nice and sleek.
3. Using a teasing brush (she loves Wigo's Teasing Boar Bristle Brush), or a toothbrush in a pinch, smooth through the hair so the texture is nice and tight. Once it's sleek, take a tiny elastic band (Try: Blax Hair Elastics), and tie the hair tight to the neck.
4. For the front section, take 2-3 drops of the Kardashian Beauty Black Seed Oil, distribute it all over your hands, then smooth down the hair. Be sure to add some gel if you're going for a day-to-night look. For stubborn baby hairs, Atkin's loves Gorilla Snot Gel Punk, which has enough hold to keep 'em down during a tornado.
5. Once the hair is slicked and brushed back, tilt your head down, take a bungee band, hook it into the base of what will be your ponytail, then pull it around extra tight. To finish things off, take a little bit of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the bungee to conceal it. Secure with a bobby pin.
Follow Marie Claire on Facebook for the latest celeb news, beauty tips, fascinating reads, livestream video, and more.