1. Colbie Caillat recently took a stand against Photoshop in her new music video (opens in new tab), "Try." She and several other women go from all-made-up to completely natural to make their point clear.
2. Mariah Carey is at the center of the latest scandal—Jezebel (opens in new tab) released the pre-Photoshop images from her cover shoot with Terry Richardson shot for Wonderland magazine.
3. Vanessa Hudgens is also fighting back against the Photoshop trend. In her new ad campaign for Bongo's Fall 2014 collection, she appears exactly as she did on set without any alteration, totally "unretouched and unfiltered." (opens in new tab)
4. Lena Dunham had a similar experience as Carey earlier this year. Jezebel (opens in new tab) offered $10,000 for pre-Photoshop images from a Dunham photoshoot, and within two hours, they got them. The controversy, however, went on to inspire a campaign (opens in new tab) promoting positive change for women.
5. Troian Bellisario sounded off on Instagram after a photoshoot of her and her fellow Pretty Little Liars stars received serious Photoshopping. She wanted to acknowledge the editing so her fans know it's not reality. "This industry seems to invest more in perfection than in flaw," Bellisario said. "But flaw and individuality, to me, are what make a human being interesting, they make our stories worth telling."
A post shared by Troian Bellisario (@sleepinthegardn) (opens in new tab)
A photo posted by on
6. Nicki Minaj also took to Instagram (opens in new tab) to call out ESPN Magazine for retouching her cover with NBA star Kobe Bryant, making the caption "When retouching goes wrong." She also said, "I love my personal unretouched photos where my forehead doesn't mysteriously grow in length."
A post shared by Barbie (@nickiminaj) (opens in new tab)
A photo posted by on
7. Esther Honig, a 24-year-old radio journalist in Missouri, made major news with her self-portrait project (opens in new tab) in which she had people in 27 countries Photoshop her face according to their beauty standards. The results proved how beauty ideals affect women all over the world.
The Campaign That Is Shocking The Beauty Standards Out Of Us (opens in new tab)
14 Things You Should Never Say to a Feminist (opens in new tab)
The New Kind of True Love (opens in new tab)
Photo Credits: Bongo, Esther Honig, GIFs via Jezebel (opens in new tab)
Creating a Pared-Back Wardrobe Starts With the Basics—Here Are My Top 30 Picks
I’ve got the essentials covered.
By Humaa Hussain
The 10 Best Plus-Size Sweaters, According to Fashion Experts
The best size-inclusive knitwear the internet has to offer.
By Emma Childs
K-Dramas You'll Be Completely Hooked On
Wait, how is it already 2 a.m.?
By Quinci LeGardye
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors