Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
RuPaul’s Drag Race star Shangela might be totally transforming your town in HBO’s makeover show We’re Here, out today. Here, the drag icon offers some epic responses to Marie Claire's questionnaire.
1. If I weren’t an actor/drag entertainer, I’d be: A wedding planner.
2. Best career advice I’ve gotten: The elevator to success is broken. You’ve got to take the stairs.
3. Most gracious response to rejection/career setback “Thank you for this opportunity.” Exit stage left.
4. Least gracious response to rejection/career setback: My “I don’t have a sugar daddy” speech followed by a thrown drink.
5. Moment I felt I made it: Performing Beyoncé for Beyoncé and Jay-Z.
6. Most agonizing career decision I’ve ever made: Choosing to not go back to my corporate job in PR after losing RuPaul’s Drag Race season 2 but instead chase my dream of being a full-time entertainer.
7. Easiest career decision I’ve ever made: Go back and compete again (and again) on Drag Race.
8. Kind of work I’d do for free: Movie critic.
9. Favorite perk of the job: Traveling all around the world.
10. Worst pitfall of the job: Early-morning flights.
11. Change I’d like to see in my industry: More opportunities for LGBTQ people of color and the telling of their unique experiences.
12. How did you make your first dollar? Writing checks for my grandma.
13. Who do you admire and why? Jenifer Lewis, because she has had a 40-plus-year career in entertainment and still has the excitement to work and create.
14. Song I’d want played at my funeral: “You Were Loved,” by Whitney Houston.
15. First album I bought: Destiny’s Child, The Writing’s on the Wall.
16. Food I’m not ashamed to admit I love: Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits.
17. My perfect day would begin: At 4 p.m.
18. My perfect day would end: With gel under-eye patches.
19. Store I can’t leave without buying something: Target.
20. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: Watch reality TV.
21. Moment I knew I was in love: When I was willing to share my dinner.
22. What every woman should try once in her lifetime: Going out in drag.
This story appears in the May 2020 issue of Marie Claire.
subscribe here (opens in new tab)
Clarifying Shampoos to Banish Build-Up
Because nobody has time for lank hair or an itchy, irritated scalp.
By Gabrielle Ulubay
The Biggest Fall Trends, Straight From the Runways
And just like that, we're back.
By Sara Holzman
Here’s the Trick Kate Middleton Uses to Look So Good in Photos
A royal style expert gives the scoop.
By Rachel Burchfield
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors
Surprise! Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas Are Parents
They welcomed a baby via surrogate.
By Neha Prakash
'Too Hot to Handle' Season 3 Was Filmed in Actual Paradise
A.k.a. Turks and Caicos.
By Jenny Hollander
Meghan and Harry Share First Photo of Their Daughter Lilibet Diana
The Sussex's holiday card is here!
By Rachel Epstein
The 50 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes Ever
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Alicia Keys Gets What She Wants
With her jazzy new album, Keys, the singer stopped worrying about everything except what matters: Her own opinion.
By Jessica Herndon