The Emmy- and SAG award-winning actress on Netflix's Orange Is the New Black, which returns for its fifth season this month, hails Oprah, the Obamas, and Nivea Cream.
1. If I weren't an actress, I'd be: A lawyer, without question.
2. Most gracious response to rejection/career setback: It wasn't a "no" it was a "not right now."
3. Least gracious response to rejection/career setback: "Girl..." cue eye roll.
4. The three qualities that got me where I am today: My family, my faith, my love.
5. Moment I felt I made it: When my mom got to meet our hero, Oprah Winfrey, and when we were given the honor of going to White House to meet our President and First Lady, Barack and Michelle Obama. Still feels like a dream.
6. Most agonizing career decision I've ever made: The one and only time I ever quit acting. We've all wavered, but it was the only time I'd done it in my heart.
7. Easiest career decision I've ever made: Saying "Yes" to Orange Is the New Black.
8. Kind of work I'd do for free: Acting. (I'm fairly certain that I should NOT be saying that out loud.)
9. Favorite perk of the job: Getting the chance to bring all the wild voices and characters inside my head that drove my mom crazy out into the world.
10. Worst pitfall of the job: The idea that I'm here to convince anyone of anything.
11. What my career looks like in 5 years: Telling as many different varied stories as possible in as many different mediums and seats as I can.
12. Change I'd like to see in my industry: More stories told from more unexpected faces and storytellers.
13. How I made my first dollar: Selling old board games my siblings and I no longer played. It was a repurposing operation, mainly.
14. Who I admire and why: Ms. Oprah Winfrey and my mom. They've kept it honest. The whole way.
15. Last thing I binge-watched: The Crown.
16. Book that left a lasting impression on me: Americanah, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
17. Song that always makes me cry: "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt.
18. Movie with the greatest ending: Love Actually(gets me every single time!).
19. Song I want played at my funeral: Sade's "By Your Side"
20. First album I bought: TLC. 'Cause Ooooooo...On The TLC Tipwas basically an anthem.
21. On my bucket list: Visit every continent in the world.
22. If I could live anywhere abroad, it would be: Paris, Nigeria, or London. Yes, that's three but I love them all like children!
23. What every woman should try in her lifetime: Never letting anyone's impression of you stop you.
24. My perfect day would begin: Somewhere in Hawaii...
25. My perfect day would end: Outside grilling with music and friends.
26. One thing I'm exceptionally good at: Whistling through my two front teeth. I've had a lifetime of practice.
27. Superhero power I'd want to have: Flying.
28. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: Music. Always music.
29. Something nice I did for myself recently, because hey, why not: Took myself on vacation to Puerto Rico for the first time. Time well spent.
30. If I could compete in an Olympic sport, I'd like it to be: Figure Skating.
31. The last time I felt beautiful was: Right now as I write this. I had a beautiful night yesterday.
32. The beauty essential you'd have to pry out of my cold, dead hands: Nivea cream. Not lotion. Never has there been a better solution to dry skin.
33. My first kiss: My mom's reading. No way.
34. The three qualities I thought I wanted in a partner: Good-looking, loves to travel, a working professional.
35. The three qualities I know now matter: Someone who considers me, knows my worth, and is a good person.
36. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: Dare to love again.
37. Relationship advice to my younger self: Set your bar HIGH.
38. Moment I knew I was in love: When it all felt easy.
39. The craziest thing I did for love: Put him on my cellphone plan when I knew he didn't have a job. Girl... cue: eye roll.
40. What my high school boyfriend would say about me: Again, my mom is reading, guys!
A version of this article appears in the June issue ofMarie Claire, on newsstands May 16.
If Queen Camilla Outlives King Charles, What Will Her Role Be?
As the stepmother of the future king, the title of Queen Mother is obviously out.
By Rachel Burchfield
These Key Pieces Passed My Rigorous Vetting and Made It to My Capsule Wardrobe
Please take a seat.
By Humaa Hussain
Blake Lively Isn’t Shy About Her Appreciation for Husband Ryan Reynolds’ Biceps
Can we blame her?
By Rachel Burchfield
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors