I'm going to caveat this post by stating: I love my almost 2-year-old son more than life itself; I love my husband; I love my dog; and I love the life we all share together. But I'm just going to come out and say it: Sometimes I miss my single life.
Managing a career, a marriage, and kids is stressful, no doubt about it. But I feel judged when I go beyond the typical lament involving a crying baby to voicing my actual disdain for my now very routine days. There are times when I longingly think back to my former life and sigh, not because I want to give everything up that I have now, but because I took for granted how delightfully simple my single life was—when major concerns gravitated around paying my rent and purchasing a new pair of shoes. Back when I would get upset over a failed first date because all I wanted to do was find "The One," get married, start a family, and have a purpose greater than myself.
With full anticipation that some will comment that I'm a horrible person, I'm still going to say all the things you're never supposed to say as a young working mom because I know I'm not alone. So judge all you want, but here are the 10 things young, working moms think but never dare say out loud:
1. I'd rather buy myself a new pair of shoes instead of having to pay another day care bill.
2. I just want to go home, ignore everyone, each shitty takeout, and watch TV on the couch.
3. I miss my sex life with my husband before kids. Now it's all, "Wait. Stop. Is the baby crying?"
4. I yearn for my former Sundays, when my biggest concern was whether I was going to go eat brunch first with friends or head to Bergdorf's to shop.
5. I just want sleep in until whenever.
6. Remember when I had alone time to do what I needed to do in the bathroom?
7. When did dinner each night turn into me standing over the kitchen sink eating cut up pieces of chicken and green beans while simultaneously feeding my son?
8. I miss the Saturdays when I would drink my morning caffeine while getting a mani/pedi, head to Pilates, and finish the day with friends visiting art galleries and lunching late.
9. I'd really love to work out at least once in the next decade.
10. Umm...I hear you crying, but all I want to do is drink a glass of wine and have the sound fade away.