This month kicks off the final season of Schitt’s Creek—so we get 14 more episodes of Moira Rose and her killer wardrobe, indeterminate accent, and glorious vocabulary. So what has she learned during her lifetime of hardships and successes? Read her answers to our questionnaire, below.
1. Best career advice I’ve gotten: Make sure you go into any job (and, really, into any relationship) on the right foot. It’s near impossible to change people’s perceptions of you once you’ve committed.
2. Most gracious response to rejection/career setback: “It’s God’s will.”
3. Least gracious response to rejection/career setback: “But I wanted it!”
4. Change I’d like to see in my industry: I’d like to see mid-budget films come back. Only tiny-budget independents or nine-figure blockbusters are being made now.
5. How did you make your first dollar?: Babysitting. I was 13. There were five kids in that family. When the parents came home, I was asleep and all the kids were awake. But I still got paid!
6. Who do you admire and why?: I admire and am grateful for anyone who gets off their ass and does good for others in need, or who fights for a worthy cause. The rest of us are all talk, no action.
7. Last thing I binge-watched: HBO’s Succession. I caught up a while ago and now look forward to each new episode. The characters are despicable but somehow likable thanks to the show’s great writing and acting.
8. Song that always makes me cry: “When She Loved Me,” by Sarah McLachlan for Toy Story 2. Oh my Lord, it kills me.
9. Song I’d want played at my funeral: Marvin Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up.” It’s not so much about the lyrics; it just sounds like a great dance party.
10. First album you bought?: Bruce Cockburn’s “High Winds White Sky”.
11. Food I’m not ashamed to admit I love: Salt and vinegar chips. They’re especially good with a rum and Ting.
12. Cocktail of choice: My homemade margarita, with jalapeño simple syrup and Casamigos Reposado. Rocks, no salt.
13. What every woman should try once in her lifetime: Skinny-dipping. Preferably in a lake.
14. How would your perfect day begin?: With a cup of tea, getting ready to do something fun.
15. How would your perfect day end?:With my family, having done something meaningful.
16. One thing I’m exceptionally good at: Giving my unsolicited opinion. Ha.
17. One thing I’m epically bad at: I got the strap in Grade 3 for putting Toronto (my hometown) in Iceland on a geography test. Corporal punishment doesn’t work. I’m still not sure where anything is.
18. Something better in theory than in practice: “Smell this and see if it’s still good.”
19. Store I can’t leave without buying something: Big Lots in California, USA, Dollarama in Ontario, Canada.
20. Something nice I did for myself recently, because hey, why not: I had a wonderful facial. I must do that more often.
21. The beauty essential you’d have to pry out of my cold, dead hands: A toddler’s toothbrush. It cleans teeth without messing up your character’s lush red lipstick.
22. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: “They don’t deserve you.”
23. Relationship advice to my younger self: That “sexy” dark, brooding guy isn’t a higher-level thinker. Turns out, he actually has nothing on his mind.
24. The craziest thing I did for love: I learned to cook. Had I known I’d still be making dinner this many years later …
25. What my high school boyfriend/girlfriend would say about me: Although I had a lot of poorly-chosen crushes in high school, I never had a steady boyfriend. I guess I was too busy hanging out and goofing off with my lovely girlfriends.
This story appears in the February 2020 issue of Marie Claire.
Subscribe to the Marie Claire Newsletter.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
One of King Charles’ Siblings Was Adamant That Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Be Evicted from Frogmore Cottage
Meanwhile, another sibling was “uneasy” about the decision.
By Rachel Burchfield
Despite the Royal Family’s Disdain for Princess Diana When She Was Alive, It Regularly Pushed Both Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle to Dress Like Her, New Book Claims
“During the past 13 years, Diana cosplay has become a royal staple.”
By Rachel Burchfield
King Charles Employs 28 Personal Household Staff Members That Have to Do Some Really Weird Job Duties
Talk about “other duties as assigned.”
By Rachel Burchfield
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J. Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors