This year, the 78-year-old Spanish footwear icon, who's been name-checked in Twilight, Sex and the City, and a Jay-Z song, celebrates 50 years in business and a chic new NYC flagship.
- Social media has zero impact on my sense of well-being.
- My definition of a mental-health day is being around nature.
- My happy place is the library.
- On a good day, I deal with rejection by watching a wonderful movie; on a bad day, I deal with rejection by reading a fabulous book. When you feel rejected, you must do things you find joy in!
- The not-so-great coping mechanism I had to abandon is [nothing]. I don’t abandon anything; I fight for it!
- When I’m being pulled in many directions, I immediately know what to do!
- The workout I turn to, to calm down, is walking in my garden.
- When I can’t fall asleep, I read, watch movies, sketch.
- If I’m stressed before bed, I eat chocolate; if I’m stressed when I wake up, I eat chocolate.
- The one person I know I can always be myself with is my dogs.
- I feel the most confident when I’m well-dressed and feel fresh and groomed.
- In my time of need, I turn to 1930s films.
- My comfort food is pasta and a huge salad with olive oil and lemon.
- The song I put on for positive vibes is “White Rabbit,” by Jefferson Airplane. I adore Grace Slick!
- My advice to myself when I’m feeling low is always try to dream.
- When I’m down, I want my friends to tell me interesting stories.
- I think meditation is probably not for me.
- My mental-health mantra is “Keep going, keep going, keep going.”
This story appears in the Summer 2021 issue of Marie Claire.