1. Somersault off the couch to go the bathroom. Weird, I know, but it's fun and it gets me there faster. No other human has ever seen me do this but hey, I can classify it as a workout when my doctor asks how often I exercise.
2. No pants party. What's the first thing you do when you walk in the door after a long day? Pants off. The home zone should be for comfort and happiness—not restricting waistlines and tricky zippers.
3. Eat Chinese food about 90 percent of the time. Eating kale and Brussels sprouts is all fine and good, but sometimes a girl just needs a fried dumpling. Or spare ribs. Or sesame chicken. Or all of it at once. Am I right?
4. Watch all the ABC Family series on repeat. Switched at Birth. Gilmore Girls. Pretty Little Liars. Does anyone remember Jane by Design? There's something strangely wonderful about rewatching shows that speak to my inner tween. Maybe it makes me feel taken care of... or maybe I just can't get enough teen drama.
5. Listen and belt to Beyoncé on loop. There's nothing like getting groovy to female-empowering lyrics on a Sunday afternoon. I feel drunk, in love, and like I run the world all in the span of three minutes. Now that's power.
6. Clean like a maniac and try and perfect a flower arrangement. I don't know where this came from—apparently now I'm domestic (but only in secret). This type of behavior used to be very atypical for me, but living on my own and paying for all my own stuff has made me appreciate keeping them clean and organized. Now, getting complimented on my apartment rings just as impressive as getting complimented on my hair. Cheers to adulthood!
7. Try on outfits. Leave me alone for three hours and I'll have every outfit from tomorrow at the office to a month from now at my birthday party picked out, planned, and accessorized. So what if I have to buy a new pair of shoes to match my ensemble a week from Monday? At least now I can plan and save (sorta) for it!
8. Douse my body in fancy lotion, cover my face in a hydrating mask, and comb in a hair treatment. Alone time is precious in this respect. I love nothing more than trying every new beauty remedy, but many times the paper masks and body peels leave me looking like Freddy Krueger for 20 minutes. No roommates allowed.
9. Sometimes I'll do the solo brunch. It makes me feel French and sophisticated. Not to mention it allows for perhaps obsolete but lovely practices like reading the *gasp* newspaper (even if I'm just doing the crossword).
10. Binge-watch Netflix. Mad Men with whiskey, Scandal with wine. Fall asleep on the couch. Repeat.
11. Practice my smile in the mirror. It's a productive activity. Or maybe it's not, but I'm alone and you can't judge me!
12. Buy new underwear. Who else has trouble washing delicates? Do I hand wash? Can I throw them in with my whites? How does everyone but me seem to know how to maintain lacy underthings without a hitch? I usually wear them, wash them, and then buy new ones to replace those now destroyed pairs. Oops.
Follow Marie Claire on Instagram for the latest celeb news, pretty pics, funny stuff, and an insider POV.
Stay In The Know
Marie Claire email subscribers get intel on fashion and beauty trends, hot-off-the-press celebrity news, and more. Sign up here.
Hallie has worked in beauty editorial for ten years and has been editorial director at Byrdie since 2021. Previously, she was a senior editor at Byrdie since 2016. During her time at Byrdie, she's written hundreds of high-performing stories on skincare, wellness (including fitness, diet, mental health, body image, et al) makeup, and hair. She's a regular on set, helping to source inspiration for makeup and hair looks, as well as interviewing celebrities, models, and other notable women and men in the beauty space.
Before that, Hallie ran Marie Claire's social media and wrote beauty and culture stories for the site, and helped launch Time Inc.'s digital-only beauty brand, MIMI. After college, she contributed to Time Out New York’s Shopping & Style section before landing her first beauty editor gig at Hearst's Real Beauty. Hallie's writing has also appeared in ELLE, Cosmopolitan, and InStyle. Hallie graduated with a BA in Communication Arts from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Kylie Jenner's Peep-Toe Boots Kick Off the Polarizing Spring Shoe Trend
These boots were made for walkin'—and showing off your pedicure.
By Aaron Royce
Machine Gun Kelly Is No Longer Going By Machine Gun Kelly
The change comes after some fans claimed the name glorified firearms.
By Meghan De Maria
Prince William Accepts Gifts for Kate Middleton As Health Rumors Swirl
William attended two more public events this week, without his wife in sight.
By Meghan De Maria
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J. Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors