The writer and director of this month's big-screen Southern gothic drama The Beguiled talks playing hooky, Anjelica Huston's advice, and taking the long view on a romantic breakup.
1. If I weren't an actor, I'd be: An art director.
2. Best career advice I've gotten: Not everyone's going to like you (Anjelica Huston told me that when I was 20).
3. The three qualities that got me where I am today: Stubbornness, strong work ethic, basic manners.
4. Kind of work I'd do for free: Teacher.
5. Favorite perk of the job: Getting to travel.
6. Worst pitfall of the job: Getting spoiled with so many people tending to you when you're shooting a movie.
7. How I made my first dollar: I had a T-shirt company in college.
8. Who I admire and why: Muhammad Ali for his grace and ability to rope-a-dope.
9. Last thing I binge-watched: Doctor Foster [BBC].
10. Book that left a lasting impression on me: Anna Karenina.
11. Movie with the greatest ending: The Conversation .
12. Song I'd want played at my funeral: "Sometimes," by My Bloody Valentine.
13. First album I bought: Prince's Controversy.
14. On my bucket list: The Taj Mahal.
15. My perfect day would begin: Sleeping late and then breakfast in bed while watching a movie.
16. My perfect day would end: Drinking ice-cold champagne on a terrace in the South of France.
17. One thing I'm exceptionally good at: Gift giving (I think).
18. One thing I'm epically bad at: Singing!
19. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: Walking home in New York City.
20. Something nice I did for myself recently, because, hey, why not? Taking an afternoon off from work to go shoe shopping with a girlfriend after a glass of rosé.
21. If I could compete in an Olympic sport, I'd like it to be: Gymnastics, because my daughter would be thrilled.
22. The three qualities I thought I wanted in a partner: Integrity, humor, and depth.
23. The three qualities I know now matter: Same.
24. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: It will make a good story someday that you'll laugh about.
25. Relationship advice to my younger self: Don't get married before 30.
26. Most agonizing career decision I've ever made: Leaving a big movie project that I had spent over a year working on (but wasn't the right fit)
27. Easiest career decision I've ever made: To make The Beguiled—wasn't easy to get made—but I knew for some reason I really had to try to make it.
28. My career in 5 years: No idea.
29. Change I'd like to see in my industry: More female directors.
30. The last time I felt beautiful was: When Dick Page did my makeup.
31. Moment I knew I was in love: When I couldn't eat or think straight.
A version of this article appears in the July issue of Marie Claire, on newsstands June 20.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Your Guide to the Best Affordable Gifts to Scoop Up This Season
Introducing the ultimate holiday cheat sheet.
By Anneliese Henderson
'Sweet Home' Will Return for Its Third and Final Season Very Soon
Fans of the monstrous K-drama won't face another three-year wait.
By Quinci LeGardye
Jennifer Lopez Is Leading the Chunky Sneaker Comeback
Dust off your Balenciaga Triple-S and Nike Air Forces.
By Kaitlin Clapinski
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J. Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors