1. A handful of raisins, cranberries, or sour cherries are great for a burst of sugar and pure fruit energy. Pack a small box or Ziploc bag in your purse for a post-workout boost.
2. One orange or grapefruit sliced into thick rings, drizzled with honey, and sprinkled with cinnamon. This makes a great breakfast or an elegantly light dessert. I first ate Seville oranges served this way under the hot Moroccan sun during tea time with sweet mint tea. Very refreshing.
3. Cucumber spears dusted with salt and chili powder and a bit of lime juice. For an even more exotic twist, try black salt or cumin salt, sold at Indian and specialty markets.
4. A dollop of guacamole rolled in a thin slice of turkey.
5. A handful of pan-dry-roasted hot almonds, sprinkled with dill weed and fleur de sel.
6. Boiled peanuts with a tomato-and-coriander salad, which can be served in lettuce cups.
7. Deviled eggs, with half the yolks removed, the remaining folded with nonfat yogurt and seasoned, then stuffed back into the whites.
8. Jalapeño chili rellenos made with egg whites and mushrooms and sprinkled with feta, then oven-browned.
9. Shisito peppers dry-fried in the pan with lemon and salt.
10. Edamame beans, which can be bought frozen, then warmed on the stove or in the microwave.
11. Cold poached shrimp tossed in a puree of mint, green chili, green apple, and salt.
12. Baked pita chips tossed with sumac powder and sea salt.
13. A savory smoothie made with cucumber, yogurt, salt, and mint leaves — based on an Afghani drink.
14. Hummus on endive leaves with diced tomato and fresh parsley.
15. Baked figs with balsamic vinegar and crushed black pepper.
Take a Tour of Ali Wentworth's Personal Library
The author and actress shares her favorite reads in 'Shelf Portrait.'
By Neha Prakash
Layered Haircuts and Hairstyles for Every Face Shape
Low-maintenance, high style.
By Samantha Holender
Worth It: Loewe's Gradient Puzzle Bag
The signature puzzle-piece purse has three new colors.
By Sara Holzman
What Binge-Watching TV Really Does to Your Body
Netflix and spilling over the top of your pants.
By Rheanna O'Neil Bellomo
What Eating One Slice of Pizza Really Does to Your Body
You'll never see a slice the same way.
By Elizabeth Narins
5 Things You're Doing Wrong With Food
These quick and easy fixes can make a big difference in your health.
By Alexandra Tunell
8 Ways To Rev Up Your Metabolism
Steven Macari, holistic health practitioner, nutritionist at Drive 495 and founder of the SLVRBK mat, provides 8 tips to tune up your metabolism.
By Steven Macari
This New Utensil Helps You Eat Slower to Slim Down
By Marie Claire
Your Brain on Sugar
It gives you a rush, messes with your mind, and always leaves you wanting more — and now researchers are calling for the government to regulate the sweet stuff like a drug.
By Joanne Chen
Dr. Lipman on the Evils of Gluten
The man behind the Be Well cleanse explains the science behind the gluten-free craze, and the benefits giving up grains.
By Abby Gardner
Get-Ahead Diet Guide
Want to wow everyone at your next big presentation? Check out which foods will feed your brain and fuel those million-dollar ideas.
By Joanne Chen