Find Your Best Brunette Hair Color
Honey brown, chocolate, or classic brunette which suits you best? Here, pro tips for choosing your perfect hair color and a no-fail strategy for making it last longer and stay truer.
Get more hair color ideas, color care tips, and celebrity inspiration!
By Genevieve Monsma
Photo Credit: Dan Lecca
Is Brown Right for You?
If at least two of the following apply to you, you are probably best brunette:
How to be the best brunette:
1. Match your brown to your haircut. To maximize the impact of your chocolaty color, go deeper and monotone if your hair is nearly all one length. If it's shorter or very layered, make the ends slightly lighter, and weave in high- and lowlights to emphasize the texture of the cut, says Marie Robinson, a colorist at the Sally Hershberger Salon in New York City (clients include Natalie Portman).
2. Go to the extreme. The most striking brunettes today are very dark or quite light, says Robinson. If your hair color is medium in tone, you blend in a bad way.
3. Coloring at home? Go half-and-half. One of the most common at-home haircoloring errors, according to Robinson, is a brown that's gone orangey, often the result of applying a dye that's too "warm." If it's golden brown you're after, says Robinson, buy one box of golden brown and one box of neutral brown. Mix the two, then use the combo on your hair.
4. Steer clear of hairspray, if possible. Nothing takes the sheen off shiny brunette strands faster than dousing them with hairspray, says Robinson. If you must shellac, follow with a spritz of shine serum.
5. Beware of black. If you want to deepen your brown to anything beyond dark chocolate, visit a professional, says Youssef. Once you go blue-black, there's almost no going back. The only way to lighten up is with a pricey salon procedure that involves lots of damage to your hair and wallet.
Makeup tips for brunettes:
MC musts for brunettes:
Want to see what you'd look like with a different hair color? Upload your photo to our virtual hairstyle tool and try any cut, color, or style you can imagine!