The actress and producer, who will star in the comedy films Overboard and All-Star Weekend next year, is a maestro in the kitchen, but can’t carry a tune and may have cribbed a few souvenirs from the Desperate Housewives set.
1. If I weren't an actress/director/producer, I'd be: A businesswoman. Metrics are easy for me.
2. Most gracious response to rejection/a career setback: You get a thousand noes before a yes.
3. The three qualities that got me where I am today: Driven, resourceful, and energetic. Those are the magic.
4. Most agonizing career decision I've ever made: Desperate Housewives was on for almost a decade, and it was time to hang it up. It was difficult to end it, but it was also a collective decision.
5. Favorite perk of the job: So many. Keeping clothes from Housewives, restaurant reservations, traveling the world.
6. Worst pitfall of the job: Loss of anonymity and having people not really know you for you.
7. Change I'd like to see in my industry: More women directors and more female leads in roles. We have got to increase women’s perspectives and voices.
8. How I made my first dollar: I’ve been working since I was 13. I’m a worker, but my first job was at the drive-through at Wendy’s.
9. Who I admire and why: My mom and my sisters. There are strong women in my family.
10. Last thing I binge-watched: The Affair [Showtime].
11. Book that left a lasting impression on me: The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism, by Naoki Higashida.
12. Song that always makes me cry: “My Heart Will Go On,” by Céline Dion.
13. Song that I'd want played at my funeral: Anything from the ’80s.
14. First album I bought: It was a Metallica album.
15. If I could live in a foreign country, it would be: Mexico.
16. One thing I'm exceptionally good at: Cooking.
17. One thing I'm epically bad at: Singing.
18. Superhero power I'd want to have: Being invisible.
19. How I clear my mind after a crappy day: Meditation and red wine. Preferably both.
20. The three qualities that I thought I wanted in a partner: Kindness, intelligence, and compassion.
21. The three qualities I now know matter: Kindness, intelligence, and compassion.
22. Relationship advice to my younger self: Fasten your seat belt.
23. Best career advice I've ever gotten: Be prepared and know your stuff.
24. Moment I felt I made it: What is the definition of "made it"? I'm still trying to make it—I haven't reached my full potential yet.
25. Easiest career decision I've ever made: Directing. It was a natural evolution and I knew it.
26. Kind of work I'd do for free: I love directing and being the storyteller. I'd do that for free.
27. What does your career look like in 5 years? I don't plan my life that way. I give 110% to what's right in front of me.
28. Food I'm not ashamed to admit I love: Menudo
29. How would your perfect day begin: With a workout.
30. How would your perfect day end: Getting into bed with my husband.
31. The beauty essential you have to pry out of my cold, dead hands: Moisturizer and sunblock. Moisturizing sunblock!
32. My first kiss: In middle school—I was 14.
33. What my ex-boyfriend(s) would say about me: My college boyfriend would say he knew this would happen because I've always worked hard.
34. Advice to a woman with a broken heart: Time heals all wounds. There are many fish in the sea.
A version of this article appears in the November issue of Marie Claire, on newsstands now.
#ReadWithMC Reviews 'The Vibrant Years'
"If you're in need of a warm hug in book form—this is your book!"
By Brooke Knappenberger
The Must-Watch Comedy Movies Finally Coming Out This Year
Come on, Barbie, let's go party!
By Quinci LeGardye
Spring 2023's Shoe Trends Balance Practicality and Fashion-Forward Flair
Spoiler alert: See-through footwear makes an appearance.
By Emma Childs
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors