The octogenarian actress—who proves that age really is just a number—is the subject of a new documentary Jane Fonda in Five Acts, premiering on HBO this month. Here, she offers up career advice, love advice, and advice for a life well-lived.
1. IF I WEREN’T AN ACTRESS, I’D BE: A psychologist.
2. BEST CAREER ADVICE I’VE GOTTEN: “Relax.”
3. THE QUALITY THAT GOT ME WHERE I AM TODAY: Willingness to take leaps of faith.
4. MOMENT I FELT I MADE IT: When I turned 80.
5. MOST AGONIZING CAREER DECISION I’VE EVER MADE: I tend not to agonize over things. Life’s too short. Either jump in and do it or don’t.
6. EASIEST CAREER DECISION I’VE EVER MADE: Producing 9 to 5.
7. KIND OF WORK I’D DO FOR FREE: The things I do for free are the things I don’t consider work.
8. FAVORITE PERK OF THE JOB: Having my hair and makeup done every day by two big talents, David de Leon and Jonathan Hanousek.
9. WORST PITFALL OF THE JOB: Not enough sleep.
10. CHANGE I’D LIKE TO SEE IN MY INDUSTRY: More women in decision-making jobs.
11. WHO DO YOU ADMIRE AND WHY? Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, and Meryl Streep because of their talent and smarts.
12. LAST THING I BINGE-WATCHED: The Good Place on NBC.
13. BOOK THAT LEFT A LASTING IMPRESSION ON ME: The Village of Ben Suc, by Jonathan Schell.
14. MOVIE WITH THE GREATEST ENDING: Get Out.
15. ON MY BUCKET LIST: Write another book. I can feel it marinating.
16. COCKTAIL OF CHOICE: Vodka martini.
17. IF I COULD LIVE IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY, IT WOULD BE: Italy.
18. MY PERFECT DAY WOULD BEGIN: Quietly and slowly.
19. MY PERFECT DAY WOULD END: Quietly and slowly.
20. SOMETHING NICE I DID FOR MYSELF RECENTLY BECAUSE, HEY, WHY NOT: I spent all day in bed with my dog.
21. ADVICE TO A WOMAN WITH A BROKEN HEART: This too shall pass. (This is a hard concept to get when you’re young. The elders get it.)
22. THE THREE QUALITIES I THOUGHT I WANTED IN A PARTNER: Funny, smart, sexy.
23. THE THREE QUALITIES I KNOW NOW MATTER: Kindness, compassion, sexy.
24. RELATIONSHIP ADVICE TO MY YOUNGER SELF: Pay attention.
25. THE CRAZIEST THING I DID FOR LOVE: Moved to France and lived in an attic.