We all know it's true: There are some very questionable shots uploaded to Instagram (I'm looking at you, Cara Delevingne). Though I'm embarrassingly obsessed with everyone on this list, sometimes I seriously question their strange photo choices. So, here is my unofficial, official list of what not to do on social media:
1. Vacation pictures. Extra points if your glistening legs or sand-covered toes are included.
2. Mediocre-looking food. If your food is so unbelievably spectacular that you have to snap a pic, fine. But let's be real, most food pictures leave much to be desired.
3. Engagement rings. OMG Congrats! So happy for you. Yada, yada, yada.
4. Inspiration quotes. Except I can't make fun of Kendall Jenner because she is dating Harry Styles and therefore is my idol.
5. Sleeping selfies. You're not sleeping! You're taking a selfie!
6. Almost naked sexy selfies. The female body is a beautiful thing. That doesn't mean I want to see it on my Instagram feed.
7. Pre-, post-, or during-gym sessions. It makes me depressed.
8. Pointless collages. I'll take four large pictures over a million tiny ones any day.
9. Oversharing. Love ya but TMI.
The Most Annoying Things Engaged Couples Do
The 10 Most Annoying Things People Do on Facebook
Morning After? There's a Sweatshirt for That.
Follow Hallie Gould on Twitter.
Hallie has worked in beauty editorial for ten years and has been editorial director at Byrdie since 2021. Previously, she was a senior editor at Byrdie since 2016. During her time at Byrdie, she's written hundreds of high-performing stories on skincare, wellness (including fitness, diet, mental health, body image, et al) makeup, and hair. She's a regular on set, helping to source inspiration for makeup and hair looks, as well as interviewing celebrities, models, and other notable women and men in the beauty space.
Before that, Hallie ran Marie Claire's social media and wrote beauty and culture stories for the site, and helped launch Time Inc.'s digital-only beauty brand, MIMI. After college, she contributed to Time Out New York’s Shopping & Style section before landing her first beauty editor gig at Hearst's Real Beauty. Hallie's writing has also appeared in ELLE, Cosmopolitan, and InStyle. Hallie graduated with a BA in Communication Arts from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
The Perfumer Behind Last Year's Most Talked-About Fragrance Just Released Another Perfect Scent
Aqua Media Cologne forte embodies a feeling of balance and harmony.
By Deena Campbell
'Yellowface' Is Our June Book Club Pick
Read an excerpt from R.F. Kuang's latest novel, here, then dive in with us throughout the month.
By Brooke Knappenberger
I Scoured the Summer Runways—Here Are the Six Shoe Trends Actually Worth Buying
Hit the ground running this season.
By Emma Childs
Sarah Hyland and Adam Devine Play 'How Well Do You Know Your Co-Star?'
The 'Modern Family' stars reunited for the 'Pitch Perfect' spinoff series.
By Brooke Knappenberger
The 78 Best Celebrity Couple Halloween Costumes of All Time
Honestly, we're impressed.
By Charlotte Chilton
Super Rare Photos of Queen Elizabeth as a Young Woman
From childhood snapshots to portraits as a young princess, beautiful and rare photos of the late Queen Elizabeth as a young woman.
By Mehera Bonner
King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla's Relationship: A Timeline
With the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, Charles has ascended to the throne as king.
By The Editors
Who Is Next in Line for the British Throne, Explained
And yes—Harry and Archie are still in the line of succession.
By Andrea Park
Who Is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Fiancé Riley Roberts?
AOC's husband-to-be is an "easygoing redhead" who lives with her in D.C.
By Katherine J. Igoe
68 Times the Kardashians Posed Fully Nude and Owned It
And we mean fully nude—as in, not a shred of clothing.
By Bianca Rodriguez
Who Is Jonathan Owens, Simone Biles's Fiancé and NFL Player?
"The easiest yes!" Simone wrote about the couple's engagement.
By The Editors