To wear your heart on your sleeve is endearing—but only figuratively speaking. When it comes to your date night outfit on Valentine's Day, you want a romantic ensemble that's not literally Rihanna in a fuzzy heart dress. Save the clichés for your sweet nothings and don one of these ultra-chic looks, instead.
When you want to dress like something out of a fairy tale, slip into a comfortable silk dress like this with a magical dusting of accessories, from hobble-free low-heeled mules to delicate drop earrings.
1. Farrow Cecilia Dress, $78; needsupply.com.
2. Simply Vera Vera Wang Cluster Drop Earrings, $64; kohls.com.
3. Clare V. Flat Clutch, $151; clairev.com.
4. Loeffler Randall Metallic Leather Mules, $350; bloomingdales.com.
If you're a year-round goth who likes to keep it monochrome (ahem, like this editor), there's no better accessory than a bright red lip and sculptural jewelry.
1. Fit and Flare Sleeveless Dress, $120; whistles.com.
2. Gold Magnetic Field Magnetic Earrings, $160; hollyryan.com.au
3. Arme de l'Amour Ruffle Gold Plated Ring, $245; net-a-porter.com.
4. Kjaer Weis Lipstick in 'KW Red,' $56; beautylish.com.
5. Almond Toe Suede Sandals, $85; stories.com.
Can't stand teetering in heels and clingy body-con dresses on date nights? Pull on a furry pair of slides and and an equally cozy sweater instead. These picks from Moussy and Steve Madden still feel seasonally appropriate and stylish.
1. Moussy Sweater, $110; moussyusa.com.
2. Patched Relaxed Straight Jeans, $108; shop.guess.com.
3. Double Pom Pom Earrings, $120; bando.com.
4. Tess Slides, $60; stevemadden.com.
It takes courage to pull off a potpourri of colors and socks with sandals, but it's catnip for the Man-Repelling girl who likes to have fun with her wardrobe.
1. High Crew Salmon Sweater, $310; bando.com.
2. Jane Taylor Fine Jewelry 18k Gold Citrine and Garnet Studs, $1,640; janetaylor.com.
3. Solace London Charmeuse Wide-Leg Pants, $380; net-a-porter.com.
4. Pan & the Dream Pink Tulle Sock, $65; needsupply.com.
5. ASOS Harrogate Embellished Heeled Sandals, $68; us.asos.com.
When you want to show some skin but still look pulled-together, this sheer-paneled slip plus a cropped wrap turtleneck are just the combo for the job. Complete the look with some gold hardwear like this bracelet from blogger Rumi Neely's collection, plus some luxe animal accents.
1. Long Sleeve Twist Front Crop Top, $35; topshop.com.
2. Era Bracelet, $99; areyouami.com.
3. Noe Garments Slip Skirt, $180; shopspring.com.
4. Minaudiere Briefcase, $30; zara.com.
5. ASOS Hollie Heeled Sandals, $58; us.asos.com.