When most of us think of argan oil, we think of shiny, bouncy hair. But did you know it has amazing benefits for your skin, too? Here, Josie Maran, founder of cult favorite beauty brand Josie Maran cosmetics (which relies on the main ingredient argan oil for all of its products), tells you all the reasons to get in on the trend.
Mind = blown.
1. It's packed with the good stuff.
Argan oil contains antioxidants, vitamin E, and essential fatty acids. "It's nature's protective, nourishing superfood for your skin," Maran says.
2. It will hydrate even the driest skin.
If you're on the market for an intense moisturizer, look no further than Josie Maran's own 100% Pure Argan Oil. Not only does it seal in moisture, but is also protects skin from free radicals and other damaging effects from the outside environment (i.e. pollution).
3. It won't grease up oily skin.
"It's great for oily skin because it works to actually *control* oil production," Maran says. "If you deprive your skin of oil, it often goes into overdrive and it can start to overproduce oil. If you use oil on your skin, it balances and neutralizes your natural oil production."
4. It won't clog pores.
Yeah, we were worried about putting a pure oil on our faces too. But because argan oil balances out your natural oil production, it can actually help with acne and blemishes. Plus, "it's especially gentle on people with sensitive skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea," Maran adds.
5. It's an anti-ager.
As if this oil isn't already doing enough, it can also be used as an anti-aging serum. Because it's a concentrated anti-oxidant, it will protect your skin's elasticity.
6. It can be used night and day.
"Argan oil is light enough to use as a daily moisturizer and hydrating enough to use as an overnight treatment," Maran says. Two products for the price of one? Sold.
Here, our picks for the best argan oil products on the market right now:
1. Caudalie Divine Oil, $49; nordstrom.com. 2. Makeup Forever Ultra HD Skin Booster, $41; sephora.com. 3. Alima Pure Pressed Foundation with Rosehip Antioxidant Complex, $34; birchbox.com. 4. Acure Brightening Facial Scrub, $10; birchbox.com.
1. Josie Maran Argan Exfoliating Cleansing Powder, $40; sephora.com. 2. Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter, $40; sephora.com. 3. Josie Maran Argan Reserve Healthy Skin Concentrate, $78; sephora.com. 4. Black Up Strobing Highlighting Stick, $34; sephora.com.