1. If you want skinny, tight curls, twist your hair before you wrap it around the iron. It's amazing for girls with wavy hair that want a tight curl.
Normal Ribbon Curl:
2. For a modern curl, don't use the clamp. Want cool-girl straight ends like Ashley Benson?
Wrap your hair around the wand and leave an inch or so out at the ends.
If you're new to the technique, use a glove so you don't burn your fingers.
3. For greater hold, spray hairspray on your hair before you curl it. The heat will make the hairspray hold longer.
4. The closer to the root you start your curl, the longer it will last.
5. If you want looser, beachy waves, pull lightly on the curl. Do it while it's still warm so it loosens easily.
6. To get quick, easy waves, pull hair up into a high pony and curl the tail. Once the curls cool, take hair out of the pony and shake your head, running your hands through your hair.
7. Don't curl too much hair at once — it won't last. Take a one to two-inch section at the most.
8. For prom-ready curls that will last all night, pin your curls to your head while they're still hot. Slide the curl off the barrel and pin to your head while still coiled. It will help hold the curl in place while it cools.
9. Use a flat iron to get pretty waves. Pass a one-inch section of hair through a flat iron, and halfway down the section, start turning the iron as you go down. Pull the iron down slowly for 10-15 seconds and release the clamp once you reach the end of your strand.
10. Hold the curling iron vertically for looser curls, and horizontally for tighter curls.
You should ask check out: